Newb with questions and a problem

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.27.x releases only.
gpharos

Newb with questions and a problem

Post by gpharos »

OK, I have installed 1.27 on ubuntu 12.04 LTS and I have a few questions and one problem. BTW, modect is working perfectly and I can access it from any device on my home network. Here are a few questions that I have been searching answers for.

1. Can I set a storage limit for HD space on a per camera basis? If so where are the changes made. (I have two foscam FI8918W cams)(Like to setup 100GB per camera)
2. Once the recording file size hits the full disk space does it stop recording or overwrite? (I noticed a filter that has purge when full)
3. When I view events (Clicking on the number of events) for a specific camera I select ALL and delete. It deletes the events but leaves the image files (videos) on the disk (Does not purge them). How do I get rid of the old video files located under the camera's name? ( to preserve space)

Probl;em:

1. When trying to setup zones I can not get an image to display under Zone setup. Do I need to setup the camera in a non-motion view or some other setting for the image to display. If I can setup a few zones per camera I will be able to cut down on the activity or events being written to disk.

Thank you for looking at this noob's post.
crhea

Re: Newb with questions and a problem

Post by crhea »

I'm a newb myself, so I don't know about your questions, but I did come across the same problem as you did and
found a solution.

I'm running on CentOS, so my paths may be different...

Web stuff for ZM is under /var/www/html/zm on my system.

Code: Select all

mkdir /var/www/html/zm/images
chown apache:apache /var/www/html/zm/images
The code does not try to do the mkdir, if the dir doesn't exist, but then just drops the image under /var/www/html/zm/
Not where it is expecting it, so the "New Zone" page comes up fine, but with no image.
TheKorn

Post by TheKorn »

gpharos wrote:1. Can I set a storage limit for HD space on a per camera basis? If so where are the changes made. (I have two foscam FI8918W cams)(Like to setup 100GB per camera)
I don't think there's a way to do this on a per-camera basis. (I may be wrong, but I think ZM does it as "percentage of total storage area".) I gave zm's area its own (combined) quota which works to limit the total size of ZM, and is handled properly.
3. When I view events (Clicking on the number of events) for a specific camera I select ALL and delete. It deletes the events but leaves the image files (videos) on the disk (Does not purge them). How do I get rid of the old video files located under the camera's name? ( to preserve space)
You likely have the option OPT_FAST_DELETE checked while RUN_AUDIT is unchecked. fast delete will delete the event from the database but not delete the files immediately. Audit then (eventually) looks to see if files exist that don't correspond to any event, and vice-versa, then cleans up by nuking the orphan(s).

SO... either uncheck fast delete, or enable audit checking.
1. When trying to setup zones I can not get an image to display under Zone setup.
You changed the default location of images in the paths tab from "images", didn't you? :D
gpharos

Post by gpharos »

crhea - Thank you, yes it must be the image path. Why do I know this, TheKorn was right, I changed the paths for events and images to my Raid storage instead of local storage. :)

I do have both OPT_FAST_DELETE checked while RUN_AUDIT checked in Options, but I think the key word is eventually when the audit is done it will delete the orphans. I gave it a total time lapse of 15 seconds! I'm a little impatient. I will wait for at least an hour next time but I really want to fix the zone issue with the no image problem. In options is where I made the change for both events and images, put them in a folder I created called IPcams. I also created the image folder under IPcams so I have 2 folders, events and image folder. How do I correct this?

Thank you again for taking the time to respond.

EDIT: Changed path from /raid/IPcams/images back to just images and I now have an image. Thank you TheKorn!

Now, how do I mark this thread as SOLVED.
TheKorn

Post by TheKorn »

gpharos wrote:I do have both OPT_FAST_DELETE checked while RUN_AUDIT checked in Options, but I think the key word is eventually when the audit is done it will delete the orphans. I gave it a total time lapse of 15 seconds! I'm a little impatient.
Ha, not really; normally when people hit delete things... get deleted. :D For future reference, the default timing between audit runs is 15 minutes (900 seconds), so figure if you hit delete and go make a sandwich, chances are by the time you come back it'll be done.

...or you could just turn off fast delete. The side effect is that once you hit delete, the web interface pauses while it goes and deletes stuff. Not that big of a deal if you're deleting one event, but if you're deleting lots of events (or especially lots of long events), the delay can be noticeable and/or unsettling.
In options is where I made the change for both events and images, put them in a folder I created called IPcams. I also created the image folder under IPcams so I have 2 folders, events and image folder. How do I correct this?
If you want to move where the images & events are stored, you need to do it at the filesystem level rather than through zoneminder. (Don't get me wrong, by rights that should work. But it doesn't and there are enough very good workarounds that it's very low on the priority list.)

It's not a problem to move where they're stored; I have mine sitting on a RAIDZ that has nothing in common with /var. To move where they're stored, shut down zoneminder (important!!), go to where zm is storing your events and images and then either make bind mounts or symbolic links to the new storage locations. (Bind mounts are preferred for... eh let's not go into it. They're just preferred.) Don't forget to move the entire tree to the new spot before you re-start zoneminder, or zmaudit will nuke everything when it runs!

On ubuntu, images are stored in /var/cache/zoneminder/events and /var/cache/zoneminder/images , to save you some time looking. ;)