missing zmcamtool.pl

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.27.x releases only.
TheKorn

missing zmcamtool.pl

Post by TheKorn »

So just upgraded from 1.26.5 to 1.27 using the iconnor PPA. (kubuntu 12.04)

Can't find zmcamtool.pl anywhere. Is it missing from the PPA?

(find can't find it either, for what it's worth.)

Thanks!
iconnor

Re: missing zmcamtool.pl

Post by iconnor »

Apparently the fix to include it happened after the package was built. I'm looking into it.

I've also just put a new master snapshot package up which should include it, as well as some other stuff...
TheKorn

Post by TheKorn »

Awesome! (And have I said thanks for the PPA? No? Thanks for the PPA!)
jHeron

Post by jHeron »

Excuse my ignorance but what is a PPA and what is it for?
Cheers,
Jon
TheKorn

Post by TheKorn »

jHeron wrote:Excuse my ignorance but what is a PPA and what is it for?
Personal Package Archive

Let's talk about Ubuntu, to make this easier.

So Canonical puts out Ubuntu packages that contain applications and/or fixes. MythTV is a package (actually several), OpenSSH is another package, ZoneMinder is a package. So if you're running ubuntu, you can go into the package manager, click on I WANT ZONEMINDER and through the magic of the internet zoneminder is plopped onto your system, no compiling necessary.

That's all well and good, but by convention (stability), packages tend to freeze at whatever version your application was at when that OS was released. So for ubuntu 12.04, the zoneminder package is (and forever will be) zoneminder 1.25.0 .

So then there are people who (for reasons) don't want to/can't upgrade to the latest version of ubuntu, but want/need an updated version of zoneminder and would rather not compile it themselves because they're lazy, don't know how, etc.etc.etc. (In my case, realllly lazy. :mrgreen:)

That's where the PPA comes in. I can tell my system to use iconnor's PPA, which will then replace the official OS zoneminder package. In this case, his PPA has a ready to go package for zoneminder 1.27, saving me a lot of work & hassle downloading and compiling it myself. (Remember: laaaaaazzzzzzy!)

Clear?
jHeron

Post by jHeron »

Got it, thanks.
its an ubunto package.
Try Fedora.... :D
Cheers,
Jon