new libvlc advantages

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.27.x releases only.
linuxsense

Re: new libvlc advantages

Post by linuxsense »

Not sure if this is the perfect spot to mention this but I figured it might help someone out down the road.

I setup a new server and everything was working well with libvlc...until I installed the proprietary Nvidia driver. With the Nvidia driver zoneminder would segfault when trying to capture the monitor using libvlc. Just for kicks I re-configured and re-compiled zoneminder but I had the same results. I rolled back to the open source Nvidia driver and the issue went away. I can duplicate the condition again if anyone wants more information.
tstrike

Post by tstrike »

knnniggett wrote:
linuxsense wrote:Sure, here is a screenshot from a few days ago of a zoneminder window. I'll grab a still using VLC a bit later.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6511963/drive.jpg

So far I have been impressed with that little cam. Hard to beat the price and it has a very well constructed body and mount although the mount cant be changed, but, at least its sturdy one. Low light performance exceeded my expectations. My only gripe is its web UI requires a proprietary plugin to view streams and its Windows only but I have no real need for it anyway. This is the cam:

http://goo.gl/uHe5I8
Nice image. Real sharp.
Care to add that camera config to the wiki?

Holy crap!! That is uber sharp.... I am gonna buy one also... for the price that is way better than the DL 5020L I have (I got it on clearance at $110 from Office Depot)
linuxsense

Post by linuxsense »

Its been pretty solid so far (few weeks) and I am still happy with the price/performance ratio. I had to do a hard reboot on it one day but all of my cameras use a central power supply that I have a Raspberry Pi control via a relay so I can just cycle the power remotely if needed. I have also worked out most of the commands to tweak settings (contrast, brightness, saturation, etc, as well as a reboot) by sending it commands using 'wget' that I will share once I am finished sniffing them all out. I also discovered that you can view its built-in feed and control page in Linux with the correct VLC plug-in. It comes with a software package to install for Windows so you can view live video from its interface but in reality its just a version of the VLC plugin. You need "libvlcplugin.so" to be used in Firefox instead of the Totem version of the VLC plugin. I can provide more specific info if you need it...took a bit of trail and error to find the magic combo.
spartangreen

Post by spartangreen »

Hi, I have just installed v1.27 on Ubuntu with the libvlc option. Please can someone send me the settings of the Amovision AM-Q630M? I cant seem to get it to work using either ffmpeg or libvlc

I have tried this also:
http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... n_AM-Q630M
PacoLM

Post by PacoLM »

spartangreen wrote:Hi, I have just installed v1.27 on Ubuntu with the libvlc option. Please can someone send me the settings of the Amovision AM-Q630M? I cant seem to get it to work using either ffmpeg or libvlc
I have tried this also:
VLC settings:
In general tab:
SourceType: Libvlc
In source tab:
Source path: rtsp://your.ip.address.here:554/12?tcp
Colorspace:24bits
Width:640
Height:360

For ffmpeg:
In general tab:
SourceType: Ffmpeg
In source tab:
Source path: rtsp://your.ip.address.here:554/11?tcp
Colorspace:24bits
Width:640
Height:360

Hope it helps,

PacoLM

After more than 15 years, no longer using ZM as surveillance system.
Now in the dark side, using a commercial system...
linuxsense

Post by linuxsense »

spartangreen wrote:Hi, I have just installed v1.27 on Ubuntu with the libvlc option. Please can someone send me the settings of the Amovision AM-Q630M? I cant seem to get it to work using either ffmpeg or libvlc

I have tried this also:
Those options should work for you but it depends on what the camera is configured for. Those are correct for the defaults. I would suggest when trying to dial in this camera with ZM to use the cameras defaults and either the 1280x720 feed (11) or the 640x360 stream (12) with the 'Maximum frame' set to 5 or 10. Dont set the max fps on the zoneminder side, let the camera do it.
dazed

Post by dazed »

Thanks for sharing info on the camera linuxsense...Is it POE? hard to tell from specs and picture looks like power supply included...

Thanks
linuxsense

Post by linuxsense »

dazed wrote:Thanks for sharing info on the camera linuxsense...Is it POE? hard to tell from specs and picture looks like power supply included...

Thanks
That particular cam seems to be not available right now but I have purchased a few that are perhaps better for about $35 shipped (the vendors price changes pretty often, $35 now) that do POE and work very well. The web UI on it is not nearly as nice but since I only use it for the initial setup it is of little bother to me. I have 3 of the 3.8MM lens versions in service at my house right now and for the money they about as good as it gets IMO. This particular vendor also ships very promptly. Takes no more than 2 weeks for delivery from China to So Cal. I got one in about 10 days. Only gripe on them is the IR illumination is not extremely good, its decent, but I have been adding $15 IR illuminators to the areas where I use them and its like a sunny day. The spiders also tend to migrate to the IR illuminator instead of the the cam so it work out really well. Even if you need to add an illuminator the combo still works out to be under $50.

This is the sellers store:

http://stores.ebay.com/guardyoursecurity/

I have purchased a few other types of cams from them (indoor units) and all are great for the money but this is my current "go to" cheap outdoor IP cam from them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-0MP-720P-IP-C ... 258d8391f7

Note that the $35 cam is not supposed to be POE but every single one I have purchased has been the version that supports POE. If you need to be sure you get a POE unit I think they sell them for about $50...but like I said, all 3 of the cheaper versions I have received have had POE capability. Your mileage may vary ;)

I have zero affiliation with the seller, just a customer. Best HD IP cam deal out there right now as far as I know.
dazed

Post by dazed »

Thanks ....i have spider web problems also .....its nice if u can turn the IR off and use other illumination to avoid webs recording everything!
dazed

Post by dazed »

Wow 35$ and poe i gonna have to gamble on it.....
linuxsense

Post by linuxsense »

dazed wrote:Wow 35$ and poe i gonna have to gamble on it.....
Yep. Worst case scenario would be the one you get doesn't have POE so you can just use a cheap injector/splitter to power it over the Ethernet cable. I actually prefer doing that as I have a Raspberry Pi that can toggle the power on the power supply I use for my home cameras in case I need to reboot them all.
iitywygms

Post by iitywygms »

dazed wrote:Wow 35$ and poe i gonna have to gamble on it.....
35 and poe? I did not see that. I see one for 52. Has the price changed?
Also, the poe one. Looks like they just add a poe splitter to the camera?
linuxsense

Post by linuxsense »

Like I said, I have been receiving the POE version despite paying for the non-POE one. Its not a splitter.
dazed

Post by dazed »

I contacted the seller about people having success with that $35 camera over POE, and asked if it truly was.

Here is there response, I thought I would pass it along
Thank you very much for your inquiry.
This camera can support POE function, but it's not this listing. Pleaese check the following link for POE function:
http://www.ebay.com.hk/itm/1-0MP-720P-P ... lgo=origal

Don't understand why he would try and up-sale me if its working POE....also I cant read Chinese....
dazed

Post by dazed »

linuxsense is there option to turn off IR in the firmware, on that 35$ camera?