PATH_FFMPEG option requires path AND filename

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.25.x releases only.
steelskin

PATH_FFMPEG option requires path AND filename

Post by steelskin »

Running Zoneminder 1.25.0 and Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS (shortly to be upgraded to the latest & greatest). Zoneminder was installed from the Ubuntu repository.

Hopefully the following will help somebody from making the same mistake I did and wasting an hour looking for a permissions problem.

Having enabled the ffmpeg encoder in options and entered the 'path' to the ffmpeg file, what I thought should be /usr/bin as determined from 'which ffmpeg', the conversion to video failed with the error "permission denied" reported in the ffmpeg.log file. Having googled and searched this forum I was none the wiser. So I looked at the code in zm_video.pl and realised that in the options dialog it's not just the path but the path AND filename that is required. ie /usr/bin/ffmpeg not just /usr/bin

To give a bit of clarity to this it would be better if the Description text in options was changed from "Path to (optional) ffmpeg mpeg encoder (?)" to Path & filename to (optional) ffmpeg mpeg encoder i.e /usr/bin/ffmpeg (?)

Do you think this is something I should report as a bug/improvement or has it been changed in later versions ?
river100

Re: PATH_FFMPEG option requires path AND filename

Post by river100 »

This has happened to me also. Don't remember which vers it was on as I
was trying out different versions in a VM. It mentions path, but needs the path AND file name.