ZoneMinder not behaving well

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.25.x releases only.
wrkrbee1650

ZoneMinder not behaving well

Post by wrkrbee1650 »

I had ZM running sort of fine. I had set monitors to record, and it was writing to events folder for some reason. Anyway, my hard drive filled up pretty much over a few days, and I needed to immediately delete files and did so using rm -r. However, i did go back and run zmaudit.pl which deleted 131 log table entries by time. I then needed to use a link to the external USB hard drive. I found that information here:

http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... Hard_Drive

However, I noted that every time I rebooted, I would have to manually mount the usb drive, restart apache, and restart zoneminder. So I tried the fstab option listed in that same link (and all 3 gave errors about drive not ready upon reboot and either s to skip or m to manually recover), so I commented out the mount lines and went back to using manual mounts and manual restart upon boot.

This is a dual processor system (1.7ghz) with 4GB of ram, and I'm only using it with 1 camera over a very high speed internet connection (FIOS @ 50mbps).

Before I swapped to this external USB drive and experienced all of these issues, Zoneminder would open quickly from an internet browser. Now even on the local zoneminder box, I have to open an internet browser and wait several minutes. If I try to start or stop the service, it takes forever and often locks up as well. I get into the options for the monitor, but when i try to delete the monitor, it simply hangs and the browser says connecting. My firewall is off.

I started stepping through the logs as found:

http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... _errors.3F

There is no /var/log/messages file

/var/log/syslog only has this:

When i got near the bottom i see zmwatch[3667]: ERR [Shared data size conflict in shared_data for monitor DS, expected 328, got 316]. But per here, that seems to be an error in the perl script and difference between 32bit and 64bit architecture:

http://lachlanmiskin.com/blog/2012/06/2 ... r-monitor/

/var/log/dmesg doesn't even have anything beginning with vm listed in it

/var/log/apache2/error.log

In which the only errors (from today) are :client 127.0.0.1 File does not exist /var/www/favicon.ico

There is no /var/log/mysqld.log, but there was a /var/log/mysql.log:

But that file was empty....I noticed there was a mysql subfolder, so I cd over to it and found another error.log

Which shows during what appeared as one of my previous shut downs:

./zm/Config is marked as crashed adn should be repaired
./zm/Events is marked as crashed adn should be repaired
./zm/Frames is marked as crashed and should be repaired
./zm/Logs is marked as crashed and should be repaired
/usr/sbin/mysqld: normal shutdown

But after reboot, no errors, shows it binded to 127.0.0.1
/usr/sbin/mysqld ready for connections
socket: /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock port:3306

So nothing else zm related.

EDIT: I was able to finally delete the one monitor, and I'm attempting to re-create in a few. Perhaps the configuration got hosed? Although apache responds immediately on http://localhost, zm takes several minutes to appear. I've checked the disk for errors, and there are none. Now it keeps defaulting to low bandwith, even though I choose high and am on a 100/1000mbs network with a card that support 100. What the hell is going on? I can't help but thing there was some Ubuntu update that broke it because i can't even get to the /zm webpage from another machine on my network like I was able to do before either. However, I can quickly get to the apache webpage. As it turns out when zone minder is running, it's causing my cpu's to max out at 99%...what could be causing this? One camera.....nothing else running on the machine.

I've been able to figure out the proper options to mount the external drive through fstab.

Newest EDIT: I don't know what WAS wrong, but I did a uninstall using purge, manually deleted the directories left behind. Removed all soft links, reinstalled zoneminder using http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... e_easy_way and the entries in the fstab to mount the removable drive directly to the zoneminder /events and /images directories, and now zoneminder opens up right away and is showing a load of 1.20. I don't know what got buggered up, but at least others will know what to try. However, now I have a problem where my monitor is set to record, but isn't recording anything anywhere...under images or events...???? I've tried motion record, modetect, and nothing. My Source on the main host page shows up in orange rather than green. I've tried rebooting and it still is not recording. I even readded the softlinks to the external drive which is already mounted to the /var/cache/zoneminder events and images directories....I even tried mounting the sdb2 device to /usr/share/zoneminder events and images directories which point to /var/cache/zoneminer. I gave 766 permissions to both directories, so whatever user it expects, should be able to write, and nothing is being created.