How to move events between monitors?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.25.x releases only.
bs27975
Location: K-W, Ontario, Canada (Kubuntu 12.04LTS, zm 1.25, i7-2600K)

How to move events between monitors?

Post by bs27975 »

I have had a camera repeatedly go from green to red. I'll pursue why, separately.

The only solution in the mean time I could see was to re-add the camera. Each time I did, it came back green. I was able to get on with my day.

So now I have a number of monitors, all but 1 inactive, each with a few events.

How might I migrate events from those now inactive cameras into the active one?
(Given that deleting a monitor will also delete all its events.)
mikb

Re: How to move events between monitors?

Post by mikb »

bs27975 wrote: The only solution in the mean time I could see was to re-add the camera. Each time I did, it came back green. I was able to get on with my day.
While you are fixing whatever your underlying problem is, don't re-add the camera, try setting it from "Modect/Record" to "None" and then back to "Modect". I had to do that while getting it all wrong during initial setup ... and while connecting and disconnecting IP cameras ... re-adding will (as you've found) create a scatter of separate events, as each camera is given a new ID number internally.

I'm not up on the techniques needed to be digging about in the SQL and event directories to fix that sort of thing, I don't believe there is any magic button to fix that sort of error, sadly. You will probably have to get under the hood of the MySQL side of things and do it by hand.

@AnyoneElse: Is this a common enough problem that someone's written a script to do it, or a FAQ entry?
bs27975

Post by bs27975 »

mikb wrote:While you are fixing whatever your underlying problem is, don't re-add the camera, try setting it from "Modect/Record" to "None" and then back to "Modect".
Yep. Tried that. No joy.

The last time I was able to fix it - don't know that the same problem existed prior. I suppose I'll see over time.

This time, by going to the Log I could see it was complaining about the zone changes I made being out of range. I went in and fixed the errant number, and it came back happy.

Note to selves:

(1) I should never have been able to move a point out of range in the first place. Web interface shouldn't have allowed it. Looks I dragged one pixel too far, and it let me. Moreover, if this was going to be an issue, I would have thought clicking save would have noted it then.

(2) Having logged the error, it should have just put the point within range, and gotten on with its day - rather than having the camera go red / become inoperable on me. Perhaps with a notification, but it shouldn't have been a showstopper. Better some picture, than no picture, even if it might be a picture not as specified when setting the zone.

Sounds like the ability to move events between monitors would be a useful feature.

Curious, though, why is an event even associated with a monitor? An even is an event - regardless of source. I grant that one might want to view particular monitors out of a group of events, but shouldn't monitor be a sub-type of events, not the other way around?

(Hindsight?)
mikb

Post by mikb »

bs27975 wrote: Yep. Tried that. No joy.
Oh, well the zone-define problem you had would definitely persist across waggling the camera on and off. I see :(
bs27975 wrote: I should never have been able to move a point out of range in the first place.
it should have just put the point within range,
Absolutely right, just clip it to the range, I wonder if it's an off-by-one error, or does it allow you to go REALLY off range, like 640x480 picture, pixel 645,485 and above?

There IS a bug in there somewhere, as I fell into this one by dragging a point right to the edge (well, beyond, to make sure it was at the edge), and got a confused camera/monitor. I think I ended up ditching all the zones and starting again, without having to re-add the camera. It didn't do it again, as I (through superstition) now just stay away from the edges!
bs27975

Post by bs27975 »

mikb wrote:It didn't do it again, as I (through superstition) now just stay away from the edges!
On the principle that lines have thickness? :)

Just remember: Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean you're wrong. :shock:
mikb

Post by mikb »

bs27975 wrote: On the principle that lines have thickness? :)
On the principle that I found a bug, couldn't quite reproduce it, and so wanted to avoid it happening again!