Motion detection

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.25.x releases only.
MKEbrew

Motion detection

Post by MKEbrew »

Right now we are testing out zoneminder and have just one camera watching our parking lot. I am finding that unless someone is RIGHT in front of the camera, it is only recording when cars pull in, but not recording people getting an and out of the vehicle. What settings do I need to tweak for sensitivity or similar to get this recording people? It doesn't seem to be recording joggers either, but it gets every car.

Using Modect.

Thanks!
MKEbrew

Re: Motion detection

Post by MKEbrew »

Sorry if I am posting too much. I figured out how to increase the sensitivity just now so I'll see if that does what I need. Any tips at all in any area would be welcome! I will search the forum now and see what I can learn.

Thanks!
bb99

Post by bb99 »

MKEbrew

Post by MKEbrew »

Reading that, but am a little confused. If I add a zone, it seems to effect the first zone as well. Then if I add another, I can't change anything. I can move the dots around, but the green/red doesn't change.

I just walked out to my car, and even with the highest sensitivity on and the whole image selected for the zone, it didn't trigger an event recording. The zone is set for active and I used the last present for Best Sensitivity. what's the difference between "best" and "fast"?
bb99

Post by bb99 »

The difference is the amount of processing that's required. Fast will be a lower load on the system then Best sensitivity. For what you're trying to do try selecting no preset, change blobs to pixels, change percent to pixels, and play around. Get ready for a lot of the latter. There's no way for me to give you settings as 2 cameras looking at the same area will require different zone setups. It isn't really that difficult to do just notice how the changes you make affect sensitivity.
MKEbrew

Post by MKEbrew »

Oh, ok. I appreciate that info. I'm not worried about server resources as I can always add more if needed. This server is a virtual machine and I have plenty of capacity to beef it up if necessary. I will try out your suggestions. again - much appreciated!
bb99

Post by bb99 »

Your very welcome and I'm monitoring this freq.; um, this thread.
MKEbrew

Post by MKEbrew »

Awesome, I think I got it. Walked out to my car and it recorded this time. My next question is probably not as big of a deal. If I walk through the parking lot and stop for what I'd guess to be one second, it splits the recording into two events. I have MAX_SUSPEND_TIME set to 0 (not PTZ cams) and was looking at Max Delay settings and I can't tell what, if anything, might help with that.
bb99

Post by bb99 »

Increase the post buffer to 5 or more seconds. The value is in frames so you do the math. I use a 130 frame buffer with monitors set at 10 fps.
bb99

Post by bb99 »

While your messing with the buffers; I like to see a couple seconds prior to the event trigger so I've increased my pre buffer to taste. Pre uses additional resources but you said that wasn't a problem. The post buffer doesn't increase load at all so don't be afraid to have as long a trailer as you want.