raid and filesystem question

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.25.x releases only.
mindriot

raid and filesystem question

Post by mindriot »

Thinking of building a PC for zm, possibly small ssd for boot, system etc and a pair of mirror raid drives for storage. Or does zm do much of its thing resident in memory once loaded and ssd is overkill?

How/where does zm store video?

could I possibly assign softraid storage to that specific mount point for video etc?
christophe_y2k

Re: raid and filesystem question

Post by christophe_y2k »

Hi, yes you can !
one ssd for full system, include webserver & mysql server & swap
and array of software (mdadm) raid5 (3 or 4 disk) of ext4 on classic hard drive

i use this method on two zoneminder server since ssd can usable
(ssd intel serie 520 or 330 robust and fast)

use discard argument in fstab on your ssd partitions for trim function
mindriot

Post by mindriot »

nice, thanks for replying, ill prob be back to ask questions come the time I try a setup :)

system will initially be 3 cams with up to 8/9 maximum, do you think 4gb should do for ram or are there benefits on using 8gb combined with a 64bit server distro, benefits specific to zm i mean.
christophe_y2k

Post by christophe_y2k »

i run server with 16cam(sd pal with 8 in "modec"-motion detection) with 4gb on gentoo linux64 (2-4fps) on svn zm v1.25 - after 2 years i upgrade with 8Gb of ram and ssd and i think this is the minimum for have more than 8 fps on all camera

your network switch is important, reent powerfull pro switch like hp, (i use netgear pro safe switch but that not suffisant)

i always use 2 gigabit lan (bonding) from zm server to switch
mindriot

Post by mindriot »

ok, interesting. thanks for the detailed breakdown. Cost of ddr3 now such prob just as well go 8gb anyway.

ill prob be running 2 x gigabit networks on netgear prosafe unmanaged switches with a mikrotik 802.11n 5ghz bridge in the middle, most cams will be on 1 side, less cams and nvr on other side, ups backup for both halves, 2 x dc multi output psu into poe injector/extracor and exterior grade cat5e. Considering dvr card and traditional cabled cams on nvr/dvr side for costs and ip cams for other side of bridge. wifi bridge is due to distance, 30m and too impractical to run catenary or dig a cable route in. Whole site is off grid on outback ups mains generator setup, so ups backup for both network parts also serving as power smoothing and protection. Thinking prob run cams on modec at 5fps once I get the hang of the setup, very wild and windy at location and lots of animals around so motion detection might still incur a lot of triggers :) plus one cam will be aimed at access road, poss 2. Prosafe may or may not support channel bonding, hadnt considered that, will look into it.
mindriot

Post by mindriot »

forgot to ask, is that h264 youre taking from cameras?
christophe_y2k

Post by christophe_y2k »

i use mjpeg cam , not h264, because haven't got any (at this time but a plain to buy it)

Linux can bonding with switch haven't got any "hardware" aggregation
Yamanipanuchi

Post by Yamanipanuchi »

I am running my home ZM on a 64gb SSD, I run OS and captures on it. Been running for 2 years with no problems. I hold about 15-20 days worth of events. For home that is about all I need.

I am curios about the bonding of ethernet connections to the linux box. I wanted to atempt this but never can find concrete information on this. I have two ZM at work one runs 63 camera's and the other runs 13 1080HD camera's. I have not ran into TO much of a bandwidth problem. I bet I will eventually.

Both servers plug directly into a Cisco 6509e, Not sure what protocol works best for the bonding though and what needs to be done on the linux side?
mindriot

Post by mindriot »

not done it myself but afaik needs to be set both at server and switch, therefore requiring capable switches, passive/unmanaged afaik arent up to the job.

google nic bonding or nic teaming.
christophe_y2k

Post by christophe_y2k »

Yamanipanuchi wrote:I am running my home ZM on a 64gb SSD, I run OS and captures on it. Been running for 2 years with no problems. I hold about 15-20 days worth of events. For home that is about all I need.

I am curios about the bonding of ethernet connections to the linux box. I wanted to atempt this but never can find concrete information on this. I have two ZM at work one runs 63 camera's and the other runs 13 1080HD camera's. I have not ran into TO much of a bandwidth problem. I bet I will eventually.

Both servers plug directly into a Cisco 6509e, Not sure what protocol works best for the bonding though and what needs to be done on the linux side?
Hello this is my procedure for bonding on my gentoo, you can bond more card just add it in the bond
need the correct lan driver in kernel and compile "bonding" as module [M]
The module mode is necessary to send and change parameters

Code: Select all

---------------------
GENTOO BONDING RESEAU
---------------------
# emerge net-misc/ifenslave

Pour savoir quels modules du noyau nous fournissons pour le réseau, utilisez simplement :
# ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net
et charger le bon pilote avec modprobe (normalement pas utile pour nous ici)

------------------------------------------------------------------
For Base Layout 2:
Add the following lines to modules to load the drivers on boot

# nano -w /etc/conf.d/modules

modules="bonding"
  module_bonding_args="miimon=100 mode=1"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
# nano -w /etc/conf.d/net

config_bond0=“192.168.1.40 netmask 255.255.255.0"
slaves_bond0=”eth0 eth1"
routes_bond0=“default gw 192.168.1.1"
--------------------------------------------------------------------

# ln -sf /etc/init.d/net.lo /etc/init.d/net.bond0

# rc-update del eth0
# rc-update del eth1
# rc-update add net.bond0 default

------------------------------------------------

# cd /etc/init.d
# ln -s net.lo net.eth0
# ln -s net.lo net.eth1
# ln -s net.lo net.bond0
# rc-update del net.eth0
# rc-update del net.eth1
# rc-update add net.bond0 default
-------------------------------------------------

Preliminary Testing
Load the bonding module and start up the interface

$ modprobe bonding; 

Stop the existing interfaces

$ /etc/init.d/net.eth0 stop
$ /etc/init.d/net.eth1 stop

Start the bonded interface

$/etc/init.d/net.bond0 start 
$/etc/init.d/local restart

Checking that the interface is up

$ ifconfig
mindriot

Post by mindriot »

christophe_y2k wrote:i use mjpeg cam , not h264, because haven't got any (at this time but a plain to buy it)
So if I understand things correctly mjpeg will put higher loads on the PC than h264 will?
christophe_y2k

Post by christophe_y2k »

mindriot wrote:
christophe_y2k wrote:i use mjpeg cam , not h264, because haven't got any (at this time but a plain to buy it)
So if I understand things correctly mjpeg will put higher loads on the PC than h264 will?

MJPEG produce better quality (but with modern h264 cam i think this is the same now) but need more network bandwitdh
For CPU load not sure (i think MJPEG is decoded fatest than H264)
H264 is combined with high resolution cam (1280 x 1024/900) and MJPEG for PAL SD (720x576)
You need to test