Multiple Disk Handling - without LVM or RAID

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.25.x releases only.
dcbour

Multiple Disk Handling - without LVM or RAID

Post by dcbour »

I know a few posts have been made on this over the years.
The challenge as many have realized is one disk is just not enough to store any significant volume.

Options then include raid systems, LVM system and the like. With low end systems, they add to cost or complexity. Any non-mirrored or redundant systems suffer the risk of an entire volume failure if single disk fails. Not an option I wanted.

Using a couple of scripts, I think I've addressed it...

I've added each disk in the system mounted under /mnt as follows:

/mnt/zm1 /dev/sda1 (this is the same as my / mount - here for a couple of reasons which are used in the script below)
/mnt/zm2 /dev/sdb1
/mnt/zm3 /dev/sdc1

add as many as you wish...

Here's the first script...

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

#variables
eventlocation="/var/www/zm/events"

bigdisk=`df |grep zm|sort -n -r -k 4|head -1|awk '{print $6}'`
newpath=`date -d "+1 hour" +/%y/%m/%d/%H`

echo $bigdisk
echo $newpath

if [ "$bigdisk" !=  "/mnt/zm1" ] ; then 

# find paths to work in
  cd $eventlocation
  for d in `find .  -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -type d|sort`
    do 
      camera=`echo $d|awk '{print substr($0,2,99)}'`
      totalnewpath=`echo $bigdisk$eventlocation$camera$newpath`
      totallnpath=`echo $eventlocation$camera$newpath`
      mkdir -p $totalnewpath
      ln -s $totalnewpath $totallnpath
      chown www-data:www-data $totallnpath
    done
fi

I've cron'd this to run at 50 minutes on the hour.

next, the cleanup script...

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

#variables
eventlocation="/var/www/zm/events"
disklimit=25000000

# calc if any disks need cleaning.

df |grep zm|sort -n -k 4|head -1|awk '$4 < '$disklimit' {print $6}'>/tmp/diskover.tmp
wcdiskover=`cat /tmp/diskover.tmp|wc -l`

cat /tmp/diskover.tmp
  echo "wcdiskover is " $wcdiskover

while [ "$wcdiskover" -gt "0" ] 
do 
  cd $eventlocation
  for d in `find . -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -type d`;do cd $d;find . -mindepth 4 -maxdepth 4 -type d |sort|head -1 ;cd ..;done|sort -u |head -1 >/tmp/pathtoclean.tmp

pathtoclean=`cat /tmp/pathtoclean.tmp|awk '{print substr($0,2,999)}'`
  echo $pathtoclean
  for d in `find .  -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -type d|sort`
    do 
      camera=`echo $d|awk '{print substr($0,2,99)}'`
      totalpathclean=`echo $eventlocation$camera$pathtoclean`
      rm -rf $totalpathclean
    done

df |grep zm|sort -n -k 4|head -1|awk '$4 < '$disklimit' {print $6}'>/tmp/diskover.tmp
  wcdiskover=`cat /tmp/diskover.tmp|wc -l`
  cat /tmp/diskover.tmp
  echo "wcdiskover is " $wcdiskover
  df
done 
find -L . -maxdepth 5 -type l -delete

The audit process could run at this point or on it's own. I've left mine at this point.

This will leave 25GB free on each disk.

The first program will balance filling the disks by simply creating links to the disk with the most free space. As the disks fill, they will use the space to the volume specified in the cleanup file.
Note the path used on both programs to your current installation.

The only other gotcha I've seen is different distributions do the date differently. Check your date formatting to ensure the date command in the program works for you. the other option is a "-d" instead of as shown. For the record this is on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

As stated earlier, this is a new program running for a few days now on my system. I'll probably tweak it as it goes. That said, feel free to comment or make suggestions.

Finally, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I am not responsible should this mess your system up. Try it on a test system first if you want.

With that, enjoy and hopefully you find it useful.
Dave
badger_fruit

Re: Multiple Disk Handling - without LVM or RAID

Post by badger_fruit »

Hi
Thanks for the great post, my only critisism (sorry) is that Motherboards with on-board RAID are now quite inexpensive as are Terrabyte drives.
The solution we use here in the office (or rather, will be when we get ZM playing nicely!) has 4TB (2 x 2TB) and Hardware RAID ... it cost us (cameras or PC monitor not included) just a little under 250 GBP (INC VAT).

I'd rather pay that little extra for the hardware than run a software / script every x minutes which could mess up the system and lose all the data BUT, in saying that, it's nice to see the script and you've clearly tried to address a concern which you should rightly be applauded for!
Briago

Re: Multiple Disk Handling - without LVM or RAID

Post by Briago »

You can also just use mdadm for a free software raid that performs about as well as the cheap motherboard raid chips.

You just need equal amounts of spare unallocated space on multiple drives and you can form a software raid with those partitions.

I run my entire machine using software raid 1 that supports hot swapping. With hot swapping a 3rd drive in the machine I keep live data mirrored at all times, with an additional backup kept locked in a fire/water safe. I'm covered for HD failure, Fire, and direct Lightning strikes. I've never had a glitch in four years of using SW raid, and never lost a byte of data.