South African users

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
S-cape

South African users

Post by S-cape »

Out of the list of webcams that work with Zoneminder, which ones can we obtain locally and where?
S-cape

Re: South African users

Post by S-cape »

I have been looking for compatable webcams locally and cannot find any.
Last edited by S-cape on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
codabiz

Post by codabiz »

I have had good results with Logitech Webcam 9000, should be available.

Remember, nearly all webcams don't truly focus to infinity!
S-cape

Post by S-cape »

Going to get a couple decent cameras for out side but inside, webcams will suffice. Busy with a creative live cam sync. Works with everything except with what matters lol, or I am not configuring ZM properly.....who knows. Still struggling. Got it streaming, now I need to hook it up with Zm.
S-cape

Post by S-cape »

Still can't get ZM working. It's a bloody nightmare, nothing is straight forward. Found a couple of youtube videos with instructions for an install on linux Mint and guess what....Yep I installed Linux Mint and Zoneminder and still struggling after 3 days.
S-cape

Post by S-cape »

Got to the Zoneminder gui......yeah!....for now at least. :lol:
S-cape

Post by S-cape »

btw I am following instructions from
http://www.howtoforge.com/video_surveil ... der_ubuntu
S-cape

Post by S-cape »

Busy with mjpg_streamer install. Version number must be changed for it to install correctly
S-cape

Post by S-cape »

Got mjpg streamer to stream a couple of weeks ago. I had to change version number of mjpg_streamer because Linux Mint 12 didn't recognise version number. It contained a letter in the version number. Had to remove the version number before it would install. Got Zoneminder to work today. usb camera used was a Creative live cam sync. Cost was under R100. Now to test usb lead length before I use 20m to 30m powered usb cable which is about R100 I think.
S-cape

Post by S-cape »

Going to test a new 8M webcam on a 45m cat5 cable with a usb adaptor sender and receiver on either end. R80 for cable, R115 for usb to cat5 sender and receiver unit, 70 cents for two plugs, 8M webcam R75.
Struggling with setting up a network to view camera feed on another pc.
S-cape

Post by S-cape »

Still struggling to get more than 1 usb webcam to work. Tried to change Shmmax and Shmall but it still doesn't work. Now I am trying to understand what Shmmax and Shmall is and what it does. In most of the explanations I find that an assumption is made on the level of knowledge. As soon as I understand it and get more than 1 webcam working with Zoneminder on my PC running Linuxmint I will attempt to explain it. I also think that the problem lies with the bandwidth for usb 1 and usb2. I am not sure how this bandwidth is allocated to usb devices.
S-cape

Post by S-cape »

I got most of my information from tryalanderror on u toob. Seems to be the easiest explanation up to the point of 1 webcam on ZM.
S-cape

Post by S-cape »

Bought a TP link 3130 for about R850. Busy with installation. Cant waste any more time trying to get more than 1 usb wecam to work. I will come back to that problem later.
S-cape

Post by S-cape »

TP-link 3130 setup!!!!!!
Accessed it via wifi on my BB 9300 and my playbook. Next step is to figure out port forwarding so that I can access it via the net.
S-cape

Post by S-cape »

I cant believe that it's been more than a year since my last post. I have been struggilng to get a LW-901A 16 cam saa713X capture card to work but without success. Tried about 3 other "free" and trial DVR software packages. Waiting for a capture card to arrive from securecam in UK that has been tested with ZM. Cant waste anymore time testing or sourcing cards locally. I got one system running Zoneminder on Linux Mint 12 with 2 webcams and 1 IP cam. Other system running XP with unreal media server with 2 webcams and i cctv analogue cam plugged into LW-901A 16 cam saa713X capture card. As soon as the card arrives from UK I will be installing Linux and ZM on 2nd system. paid about R100 for Creative sync webcams