modprobe bttv refuses to write bttv.conf file

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
alltech

modprobe bttv refuses to write bttv.conf file

Post by alltech »

I have the latest edition of ubuntu and zoneminder. I can do a lspci and get this information from my card.

04:01.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video Capture (rev 11)
04:01.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio Capture (rev 11)

but when I do a modprobe bttv I get no response and the prompt returns to the shell prompt. There is no /etc/modprobe/bttv.conf file generated. So I manually added the info of the card to the bttv.conf file

04:01.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video Capture (rev 11)
04:01.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio Capture (rev 11)

What would cause this?

BTW, I am getting vidio. Just the bottom of the image in guvcviewer is rolling or "flashing on and off" and the upper 2/3 of the image is ghosted twice!
kross

Re: modprobe bttv refuses to write bttv.conf file

Post by kross »

modprobe doesn't write conf files to the /etc/modprobe.d directory. You do. It just reads them. If you don't specify any options for the bttv module, then it just uses default values and tries to autodetect the actual card type. After running modprobe bttv, run dmesg, and the end of the output from dmesg will be from the bttv module. This should tell you if it was successful in loading the module or not.
alltech

Re: modprobe bttv refuses to write bttv.conf file

Post by alltech »

all right thanks. Seems syslog shows some kind of memory access violation. I am doing a full reinstall of zoneminder right now. I am comming up with some compile errors and will submit at new thread.