What Is the Optimum Resolution for Pico2000 Cards

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
TucsonDirect

What Is the Optimum Resolution for Pico2000 Cards

Post by TucsonDirect »

Simple Question, What is the highest resolution that can be used with the Ebay Pico2000 (UCC4) Cards?

if i try some higher options i get problems with interlaced video but can read license plates, but i have to remove half of the interlacing information and the lower settings dont retain enough resolution to zoom in on the plate digitally?

So my question is what is the highest resolution that can be used with these cards without interlaced video? i.e. 320x240 640x480 740x480 etc ect?

The cameras that i am currently using are Sony CCD 1/3" 380tvl Cameras

Thanks!
mastertheknife

Re: What Is the Optimum Resolution for Pico2000 Cards

Post by mastertheknife »

Hi, The maximum resolution you can use is 768x576 for PAL and 640x480 for NTSC.
If you want a non-interlaced image, you need to use no higher than 384x288 for PAL (and not 352x288, because computer monitors are 4:3 unlike old CCTV monitors) and 320x240 for NTSC.
After setting the resolution to 384x288 (PAL) or 320x240 (NTSC), to get a progressive image you only need to capture the odd or the even fields (or alternate between them), you need to go to ZM options (ZM 1.24.3 and newer) and change the V4L2_CAPTURE_FIELDS option from 0 to 2, this will capture the even fields only. You can also use 7 to alternate between odd and even, but from my testing, it often results in a shaky image.

mastertheknife
Kfir Itzhak.
TucsonDirect

Post by TucsonDirect »

WOW! Thanks That is just what i needed to know!

I have noticed that i can record 640x480 With ok img quality but interlace problems exist however for getting plates and such Using the GPL program GIMP i can get clear images. That are higher quality than the 320x240

so if my understanding is correct it does not matter if my actual analog source is 380 or 500 TVL the img will still be the same on the dvr because much of the image information is discarded by the Cheap Capture card?
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

Cheap Capture card
Accely it is the pal and NTSC standard back from when tv was basically created. So no analog camera can go above the standard. But many home cctv cameras go below by cheating and upscaling.
TucsonDirect

Post by TucsonDirect »

kingofkya wrote:
Cheap Capture card
Accely it is the pal and NTSC standard back from when tv was basically created. So no analog camera can go above the standard. But many home cctv cameras go below by cheating and upscaling.

Clarify?
TucsonDirect

Post by TucsonDirect »

mastertheknife wrote:Hi, The maximum resolution you can use is 768x576 for PAL and 640x480 for NTSC.
If you want a non-interlaced image, you need to use no higher than 384x288 for PAL (and not 352x288, because computer monitors are 4:3 unlike old CCTV monitors) and 320x240 for NTSC.
After setting the resolution to 384x288 (PAL) or 320x240 (NTSC), to get a progressive image you only need to capture the odd or the even fields (or alternate between them), you need to go to ZM options (ZM 1.24.3 and newer) and change the V4L2_CAPTURE_FIELDS option from 0 to 2, this will capture the even fields only. You can also use 7 to alternate between odd and even, but from my testing, it often results in a shaky image.

mastertheknife
Is there a way to do this in 1.24.2?
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

If pal any vertical res above 288 on an interlaced cam will cause interlace issues.
2cif is as high as you can go, which is 720/704 x 288

But the resultant image will be too wide. the windows client resizes if using this res.
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
TucsonDirect

Post by TucsonDirect »

jameswilson wrote:If pal any vertical res above 288 on an interlaced cam will cause interlace issues.
2cif is as high as you can go, which is 720/704 x 288

But the resultant image will be too wide. the windows client resizes if using this res.
sorry i should have clarified, is there anyway to capture one 1 field using zm 1.24.2 ? Im using Zmlarch And have found it nearly impossible to upgrade to any newer versions :( Or even edit config files ...

I was using the Mandriva LiveCd but it was too old of a version to even ask for help in the forums :)

Thanks!

ETA:

I'm using NTSC (everything)
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

I presume its this setting?

CAPTURES_PER_FRAME

put dont see how it will help with interlacing only if its swapping between odd and and even at upto 240 vertical res.
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
mastertheknife

Post by mastertheknife »

TucsonDirect wrote:
mastertheknife wrote:Hi, The maximum resolution you can use is 768x576 for PAL and 640x480 for NTSC.

mastertheknife
Is there a way to do this in 1.24.2?
Unfortunately no.
jameswilson wrote:I presume its this setting?

CAPTURES_PER_FRAME

put dont see how it will help with interlacing only if its swapping between odd and and even at upto 240 vertical res.
No, its V4L2_CAPTURE_FIELDS

mastertheknife
Kfir Itzhak.
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

mastertheknife.

Sorry my mistake.

also if you only capture the even fields it does it duplicate the info ie what is the benefit of doing this rather than just running at half vertical res?
James Wilson

mastertheknife

Post by mastertheknife »

jameswilson wrote:mastertheknife.

Sorry my mistake.

also if you only capture the even fields it does it duplicate the info ie what is the benefit of doing this rather than just running at half vertical res?
To get a progressive image, instead of an interlaced image.

mastertheknife
Kfir Itzhak.
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

so this would allow 720x576 image capture without interlace issues on a pal camera?
James Wilson

mastertheknife

Post by mastertheknife »

jameswilson wrote:so this would allow 720x576 image capture without interlace issues on a pal camera?
No, but up to 384x288 for PAL and 320x240 for NTSC.
PAL for example, to capture 384x288 progressive image, the driver captures at 384x576 and ignores the even or odd lines, and this is how we get a progressive image of size 384x288 and is why its not possible over 384x288.

mastertheknife
Kfir Itzhak.
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

ok i understand thanks
James Wilson