Zoneminder installed but what next?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
rapattack

Zoneminder installed but what next?

Post by rapattack »

Hi i am using Artistx(ubuntu) and Zoneminder is already installed according to synaptic. It has been a couple of years since i have using zm and i have forgotten how to set it up. This distro already had zm installed. The camera i have plugs into the video capture card which is a pinnacle dc10plus and the camera is working at the moment with Kamoso which is really meant to be for a webcam. Doesnt want to work with some other apps like skype but that is fine. I liked zoneminder a few years back and it would be nice to have it happening again because of the motion detection it does. Kamoso doesn't use that. Would love some advice....thanks :0)
bb99

Re: Zoneminder installed but what next?

Post by bb99 »

I'm unsure of how far you are in this. To start bring up your browser and use http://localhost/zm/index.php as the url, if this fails something is wrong with the installation or maybe the services aren't enabled/started. Post back if you're this far and need help configuring the monitors.
rapattack

Post by rapattack »

Hi zoneminder was preinstalled with this distro so i have done nothing. I did try to bring up that url though as i read on this site to do so but i got the 'problem loading page' thing. The enabled/started thing sounds like it needs to be done :0) I have no idea how to do that!
bb99

Post by bb99 »

With that I'm not going to be able to help; ubuntu experts should chine in.
rapattack

Post by rapattack »

OK Ubuntu people please help! I would have gotten onto the Ubuntu forum first but i found that sometimes with some apps that is not a good idea. Last time i used Zoneminder was on Ubuntu and it worked great with a webcam :0)
roasted

Post by roasted »

Is ZoneMinder running?

In Terminal:

sudo service zoneminder start
rapattack

Post by rapattack »

I got this:
$ sudo service zoneminder start
[sudo] password for carla:
Starting ZoneMinder: success
bb99

Post by bb99 »

Now bring up your browser and try the url posted above.
rapattack

Post by rapattack »

No success i am afraid. I left the terminal opened when i clicked on the zoneminder link
PacoLM

Post by PacoLM »

Hi,

Try to check if you have already modified your apache server settings:

http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... _interface , read the 'Define the web address....'

Script in post : http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... 17&p=69568, to calculate shared memory

Post results,

PacoLM

After more than 15 years, no longer using ZM as surveillance system.
Now in the dark side, using a commercial system...
rapattack

Post by rapattack »

Ummmmmm i haven't touched anything so i am lost. I looked at that page and i can see where it starts to mention apache but i don't know what it all means. I don't think i am that good with linux yet. Yes i know how to get into synaptic and install stuff and via the terminal but gedit is something i have done very little of. So from where on that page do you want me to do what? Or what do you want me to confirm...under which heading that is mentioned. Sorry I don't remember zoneminder being this hard but it was a while ago and i was bogged down by heaps of hardware issues that took too long to resolve. So that part of my memory in my brain was erased lol.

OK the second url. I can't see where the command is to find out the shared memory in that post...I have only used Ubuntu and Debian so if there is a slight difference in the way commands are done i would not know!
rapattack

Post by rapattack »

Pleaseeeeeeee is there no one that can help???? I have been using Kamoso as that is the only thing that works with this camera and tuner card. But i can only capture still images. Plus there are bugs. I would loveto use zoneminder :0)

OK managed to figure out the stuff from the first url. I needed a day of sleep to get my brain around it. It's done but when i rebooted i didn't get anything when i put in that address in the browser.

I also tried 'sudo service zoneminder start'. It said 'success'. Then i put in that url.....nothing. You know the 404 error thingy.

So my other question is if i set this computer up to do this can i also use this computer to surf the net or does it have to be designated only for zoneminder duties?
bb99

Post by bb99 »

Can I suggest using one of the live CD's? I believe there is a good link posted here: http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=15746 You'll be starting from scratch but they just work! RDMelin and others have done all the set-up and configure work for you as well as the semi painless installation. And yes you can use your machine as usual or dedicate it your choice. Or you can try to follow one of the Ubuntu guides: http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu.
bb99

Post by bb99 »

Looks like the ubuntu dvd is still available here: http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... &start=180. Installation is well covered in the forums as well as over coming problems. One of the last posts has the current download link. Good luck...
rapattack

Post by rapattack »

Hi thanks should i save and just burn like usual or use ' dvd emcoder OGM rip' . By default this is what happens when i go to either open or i could save ....what do you think?