Zoneminder installed but what next?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
bb99

Re: Zoneminder installed but what next?

Post by bb99 »

Burn it; no need to rip
rapattack

Post by rapattack »

Oh thanks so much will do that tonight. Realised i have run out of dvd's :0)
rapattack

Post by rapattack »

OK burnt dvd and booted into live cd. What should i do now? Will try and figure it out in the meantime :0)

OK got this far:
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (128.04 KiB) Viewed 4853 times
bb99

Post by bb99 »

Looks like you got it running. Be sure to search the forums for answers or read the Wiki; have fun.
rapattack

Post by rapattack »

Oh ok but i don't know why the preview is red. Is that a preview that i stumbled upon? I really don't know how to set anything or record or.....ok will have to try again another day as i was clicking away for too long. Gee i just thought of something. I would have to run all this stuff everytime i booted up the computer to record footage/use zoneminder. A bit tedious. Don't know what to to do now. It would be better that it is installed so i don't have to fluff around everytime
rapattack

Post by rapattack »

Unfortunately not getting any preview on the cameras now. I decided to try with my webcam that has never worked with the current version of linux that i have installed. I know it is working because it does with the windows machine. Does this error in the image attached mean that both cameras are not liked by zoneminder?
Attachments
Scret.png
Scret.png (130.68 KiB) Viewed 4847 times
bb99

Post by bb99 »

My fault! Install the LiveCD/ DVD to your drive, any configurations will then be permanent. I should warn you that installing to the machine will eliminate everything on that drive (wipe the hard drive clean) so be sure you don't need any of it before installing. Red source means bad configurations for cameras. Swore I saw green in an earlier post.
rapattack

Post by rapattack »

Oh i didn't want to install it. I have a ubuntu distro called artistx and it is used for multimedia stuff i do. i guess i could dual boot but noooooo. Sorry never had good experiences with dual booting. Have lost all my data so many times and just huge amounts of problems that would never get resolved. Don't have time for this to happen again.
So what do you mean by red source...or bad configuration? Um i did see green after the red but that happened only yesterday and i didn't mention it. Now it is not green anymore. I was messing with all the things and it did happen. Unless i was tired and imagined it lol. The second camera(usb webcam) i got nothing from at all. Not even a window. So does this mean that zoneminder doesn't like these cameras?
Funny thing happened when i rebooted back into my other distro with both cameras connected is that the security camera now works in cheese....odd. Maybe it is because of the updates from yesterday?
rapattack

Post by rapattack »

Hi can anyone help? The live distro is not previewing the camera so thats another reason i wouldn't install it unless there is another trick to make it happen?
bb99

Post by bb99 »

I'm confused. Your first screen shot shows a working monitor configured as remote. Now I see not working configured as local... You will need to look at the capture card and post the capture chip type (pinnacle dc10plus used several over the years), also post a screen shot of your monitor source tab.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (128.04 KiB) Viewed 4810 times
rapattack

Post by rapattack »

Sorry i don't know what a working monitor is? Do you mean there was an actual image? There wasn't. Zoneminder has only given me whatever i said or posted here. I honestly don't understand much i am afraid. Oh so i would have to take the card out? Gee i have no time to do that. There is a lot of stuff in the way of getting the machine out plus my back is bad. I am afraid that will have to wait. What is the monitor source tab? Oh in zoneminder. OK will have to do that another time too as it is late and there is a lot i can't do with the livedvd in the computer.
rapattack

Post by rapattack »

Hi i discovered yesterday that MythTv Frontend has zoneminder in it. I don't understand it much and tried to get it happening. This is another possible course of action. I was doing somethings in Mythtv yesterday but i can see no preview or much that i would understand. I opened it today and it is going into the Database configuration. I know i am supposed to fill in some fields but i have no idea what to put there. One field i did know which is the Hostname:localhost8081. After i try to Finish it gives me 'no UPnP'. I can't seem to get to the other area anymore where i saw there was a page on Zoneminder :0(
I also have gotten Motion working but not the way i would like. Too many steps to get it working the way i would like. It does not record audio right now and i still don't know if that is possible. There is a lot i don't know. I am trying to read as many pages but a huge amount does not make sense.
kross

Post by kross »

You need a working zoneminder installation before you can get it working in MythTV.

Does the user that's running the zoneminder services have permission to access /dev/video0? Usually this means whatever user is running zoneminder services has to be a member of the "video" group. On my system that user is www-data. Look in /etc/group to find out.

Also, syslog probably has some useful logging that might indicate what zoneminder is having problems with.

When you start up MythTV, if it goes into the database configuration screen, and then says "No UPnP", that means it can't connect to the MythTV backend. The usual cause is it isn't running.

Hope this helps!
-- Kevin
rapattack

Post by rapattack »

Sorry i have no idea. I am not that good with linux and don't know how to get into those things you mentioned. I just noticed that mythtv;s gui was easier to understand than what i have been trying so far. So it seems like it can happen via the gui