Zoneminder on Mac OS X Server - Now Working!

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
zoneminder
Site Admin

Re: Zoneminder on Mac OS X Server - almost there

Post by zoneminder »

zmwatch is a minor component and shouldn't really affect things too much. It's probably worth checking your web logs to see if anything shows up in there is you have been trying to stream.

The good news is that I am bringing all these logs together into one for the next major release just to make tracking things like this much easier to track down.
Phil
MILxDOT

Re: Zoneminder on Mac OS X Server - Now Working!

Post by MILxDOT »

We finally have Zoneminder working on Mac OS X 10.7 Lion! Although it is working pretty good so far I still have quite a bit of work/clean-up to do.

To resolve the shared memory permissions issue I got lazy and just added _www to all of the groups that root belonged to...LOL! not secure but works for testing purposes.

I will make time to update the copy and paste tutorial soon.

Phil (Zoneminder), you are the man! Thanks so much for the help (Phil, mastertheknife, Jeremy L. from macports.org, and apple discussion groups)

I will still probably need help but I am happy with this setup so far.
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

That's excellent news. Thanks for your devotion to this particular exercise!

The permissions problem should be addressable, it should be created as owned by www or whoever to start with, through the creative use of 'su'. There might be some clues in the zmpkg.log perhaps?
Phil
MILxDOT

Post by MILxDOT »

Just an update. The only two things that I see that aren't working properly are:

1. "FPS" not showing in the live cam view area

2. System "Load" not showing - probably an easy fix just need to modify for mac system load.

I will try to monkey with those two things when I get some time.
Btoo

Post by Btoo »

Hello,
Does the "Now Working" still apply and are you referring to 1.24.3? It has been some time since the last post here....

Thx!
MILxDOT

Post by MILxDOT »

I did have this working other than it didn't show FPS in the camera view and the system load status didn't work quite right. But it was definitely usable.

I wish that I could dedicate more time to helping maintain ZM on Mac OSX but instead it is SO much easier to just use Ubuntu 12.04 LTS which has a native 1.25.0-1 install available via apt-get install zoneminder

I may tackle this again one of these days. If you are looking for a nice surveillance server solution on mac now check out securityspy it is inexpensive and pretty cool.
Btoo

Post by Btoo »

Thanks for that.
wheeliebin

Post by wheeliebin »

Hi - What is the status of Zoneminder on MacOS X currently. I'm looking to drive a kmc4400r card with 16 inputs. Be interested to help the project...