Processor power

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
herf

Processor power

Post by herf »

Is it possible to record continously eight networks cameras 640x480 at 12 fps, and in the same time having two screens, one with the 8 cameras and one antother with only four ?
If it is, which processor and memory I need ?

Thanks
PacoLM

Post by PacoLM »

I do not think that there's a rule for processor speed, it will depend also on the Linux distribution you install. The powerful the better, I think, I will try a 4 core processor with at least 8 Gigabytes of RAM....
curtishall

Post by curtishall »

PacoLM wrote:I do not think that there's a rule for processor speed, it will depend also on the Linux distribution you install. The powerful the better, I think, I will try a 4 core processor with at least 8 Gigabytes of RAM....
I'm not sure how a Linux distribution will change anything in regards to "raw processing power". Do you care to explain that?
--
Curtis Hall
Bluecherry
www.bluecherrydvr.com
store.bluecherry.net
SteveinPhx

Post by SteveinPhx »

That also depends on the DVR card you are using. If you use a good card with multiple processing chips on it, that shouldn't be a problem.
My current setup is a Pentium dual-core 2.6ghz with 2GB ram. I can record 4 cameras at 640x480 at 10 fps each with less than 20% cpu usage.
I can record much higher frame rates but then I run out of disk very quickly, so I have them all set to only 10 fps.
-Steve in Phx.
Flash_

Post by Flash_ »

Actually PacolM has a point.

In my own testing (documented here http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... buntu+load ) switching distros resulted in a huge load difference. (1.8 to 0.4) with only zoneminder running and no other changes.

I put this down to some distros doing core things in different ways. Certainly Ubuntu's stock install includes a whole world more processes running than a simple and headless debian install, and this inevitably affects performance.
PacoLM

Post by PacoLM »

Flash_ wrote:Actually PacolM has a point.

In my own testing (documented here http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... buntu+load ) switching distros resulted in a huge load difference. (1.8 to 0.4) with only zoneminder running and no other changes.

I put this down to some distros doing core things in different ways. Certainly Ubuntu's stock install includes a whole world more processes running than a simple and headless debian install, and this inevitably affects performance.
Yes, this is what I read from some posts here. Running a distribution like Debian in a Guruplug (ARM based) where the processor doesn't have to take care of graphical processes/mouse,e tc, versus Ubuntu 10.00 in a PC with a powerful processor has more CPU load...also makes a real difference in performance, and working with only 2 IP-Cams, so connecting more cameras will make a much bigger difference, I think.

Regards,

PacoLM