ZoneMinder and Ubuntu Server.

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
kempfta

ZoneMinder and Ubuntu Server.

Post by kempfta »

I am new to ZoneMinder and am just researching using ZM for a video installation. I have been reading the OS specific installs, I like and am very familiar with Ubuntu but am confused by the note in the Ubuntu install notes. It says:

"Using an Ubuntu Server distro, you will not be able to watch ZM on the same machine at all;"

Can someone clarify this? I really want to use the 64-bit Ubuntu server install to take advantage of my 64 bit processors and more optimized kernel, but I am confused by this statement. Can I watch the video remotely on another desktop the same time video is being recorded?

Thanks for the help and clarification, just trying to prevent gotchas later on. Thanks so much for the help.

Todd
curtishall

Re: ZoneMinder and Ubuntu Server.

Post by curtishall »

kempfta wrote:I am new to ZoneMinder and am just researching using ZM for a video installation. I have been reading the OS specific installs, I like and am very familiar with Ubuntu but am confused by the note in the Ubuntu install notes. It says:

"Using an Ubuntu Server distro, you will not be able to watch ZM on the same machine at all;"
I'm not sure where you saw that, probably some WIKI entry some user put together.

What I imagine they meant was Ubuntu server, by default, does not install X so you won't have a 'graphical' interface (e.g. - Firefox) to view the video. If you install the xserver packages and Firefox then you can watch video.
--
Curtis Hall
Bluecherry
www.bluecherrydvr.com
store.bluecherry.net
kempfta

Post by kempfta »

ok thanks for the clarification.....thought what they meant was I couldn't watch and record video at the same time....

Not having X is no problem....