Delay in stream view

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
decibel83

Delay in stream view

Post by decibel83 »

Hi.
Two days ago I setted up my test environment using Zoneminder 1.24.2 and two Axis M1011 network cameras.

In the stream view window the stream is showed with 1 minute delay compared to the live view of the network camera which is perfectly in real time.

I also tried to setup no maximum FPS and alarm maximum FPS in the monitor setup in Zoneminder and to limit the maximum frame rate at 15fps in the network camera configuration interface, but I didn't solve this problem.

What's the problem? How I can improve this?

Thank you very much!
Bye.
Mr.Ziggy

make sure you test on different systems

Post by Mr.Ziggy »

Was having a tough time building and testing my ZM system, including seeing a lot of delay in viewing.

For me, part of the problem was viewing on my Atom based WinXP system my POS stuff is installed on. Lots of lag and eventually stopped displaying. (firefox too)

Switching to Ubuntu/Firefox/Faster system is giving me more consistent view results, even though CPU not maxed out in XP system.
redebeer

hardware

Post by redebeer »

I agree with Ziggy. In all cases i found that the delay in stream was due to hardware used for pc where zoneminder is installed on. Even though system monitoring werent showing that the CPU/RAM were being utilized to its fullest... the problem/reason lies within motherboard chipset

Hope this makes sense
decibel83

Post by decibel83 »

My testing system is a Lex system with a VIA Nehemiah 1GHz CPU, 512 Mb RAM and 80 Gb 2,5" IDE hard disk...
I'm using two Axis network cameras and a RCA camera connected to the first available video input of the Lex system.
redebeer

system

Post by redebeer »

Hi decibel83, can you post the exact model number of your mobo? You mentioned you changed fps rate on network cams themselves...my question to you : is the lagging/delay the same for the network cams as for your rca cam?
Arsenal2

Delay

Post by Arsenal2 »

I have the same cameras and here is what I found.

Delays with RTSP, HTTP, anything when the fps is above 6fps or zoneminder controls the fps. Try this and let us know how it goes.

Remote Protocol: HTTP
Remote Method: Simple
Remote Host Name: user:password@ip address
Remote Host Port: 80
Remote Host Path: /axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi?resolution=320x240&compression=20
Remote Image Colors: 24bit color
Capture Width: 320
Capture Height: 240
Maximum FPS: blank
Alarm Max FPS: blank

On the axis camera under video, limit the video stream to 5 fps.

Save and restart zoneminder. This cleared up the delay in video for me.
Yamanipanuchi

Post by Yamanipanuchi »

Interesting! This sorta solved the problem. I mean it does work.

Only thing that bugs is that I have the same setup on a separate PC and it works the normal way using Zoneminder to control the frame rate.
Juicethemoose

Re: Delay in stream view

Post by Juicethemoose »

I had a similar problem and found that I had to set the fps in zoneminder higher than the fps on the camera itself. i.e. my camera is set to put out 10 fps, and I had to bump ZM up to 20 fps max to get rid of the delay.