now set up but some questions remain

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
mrgreaper

now set up but some questions remain

Post by mrgreaper »

ok i figured a new topic as new questions

http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13685 is my old thread and most of the details are the same
but to recap
my os :ubuntu 9.04
zoneminder 1.24.1 installed from ftp://www.northern-ridge.com.au/zonemin ... untu/9.04/ (the 386 one)

ok i want to have the motion captured images emailed to me at my gmail address using my gmail account (sbnzbdplus runs on my linux box and achieves this greatly :) but theres two settings missing from the email options pannel the username and password for your email account i can place pop.gmail.com in host but i need to add the username and password is there someway i can configure it? or even can i use some sort of fwding system on ubuntu (something that looks for email on the local host and releays it to pop.gmail.com using the user and password settings i have configured? (this is quite important as if i get robbed they will take my server pc and ofcourse all the pictures! lol i also would like imediate notification that theres trouble so police can be notified (my phone checks my email every 5 minutes ...not imediate granted but good enough)

is there a way to turn off a monitier by time so for example i can set it to on at a set time and off at another (at the moment im achieving that by changing it from modect to none (i dont want my camera on 24/7 ! lol))

what is a bad value for load? mine goes as high as 1.23 (the server is also used for sabnzbd mediatomb episodebutler and auto converting of video files. is 1.0 100% or 1% ?

i am ofcourse regoogling to try to find my own solutions but a quick look has revealed nought
allanE

Post by allanE »

On a single processor a load of 1.23 is equal to 123%. On a dual processor it would be 61.5%. Not usually a problem if it is peaking there, but could cause trouble if it is always at this point. Slow down the frame rate and reduce image size are the usual fixes.
Allan
curtishall

Re: now set up but some questions remain

Post by curtishall »

Load average is different then CPU usage. Load average is a number based on how many processes are in the run stat at a given time (first number = 1 minute, second number = 5 minute, third number = 15 minute). I've seen load averages of 10 and the computer functions just fine. The best way to determine CPU usage is top / ntop.

This link covers this in more detail:
https://www.andymillar.co.uk/blog/index ... explained/

mrgreaper wrote:ok i figured a new topic as new questions

http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13685 is my old thread and most of the details are the same
but to recap
my os :ubuntu 9.04
zoneminder 1.24.1 installed from ftp://www.northern-ridge.com.au/zonemin ... untu/9.04/ (the 386 one)

ok i want to have the motion captured images emailed to me at my gmail address using my gmail account (sbnzbdplus runs on my linux box and achieves this greatly :) but theres two settings missing from the email options pannel the username and password for your email account i can place pop.gmail.com in host but i need to add the username and password is there someway i can configure it? or even can i use some sort of fwding system on ubuntu (something that looks for email on the local host and releays it to pop.gmail.com using the user and password settings i have configured? (this is quite important as if i get robbed they will take my server pc and ofcourse all the pictures! lol i also would like imediate notification that theres trouble so police can be notified (my phone checks my email every 5 minutes ...not imediate granted but good enough)

is there a way to turn off a monitier by time so for example i can set it to on at a set time and off at another (at the moment im achieving that by changing it from modect to none (i dont want my camera on 24/7 ! lol))

what is a bad value for load? mine goes as high as 1.23 (the server is also used for sabnzbd mediatomb episodebutler and auto converting of video files. is 1.0 100% or 1% ?

i am ofcourse regoogling to try to find my own solutions but a quick look has revealed nought
--
Curtis Hall
Bluecherry
www.bluecherrydvr.com
store.bluecherry.net
mrgreaper

Re: now set up but some questions remain

Post by mrgreaper »

curtishall wrote:Load average is different then CPU usage. Load average is a number based on how many processes are in the run stat at a given time (first number = 1 minute, second number = 5 minute, third number = 15 minute). I've seen load averages of 10 and the computer functions just fine. The best way to determine CPU usage is top / ntop.

This link covers this in more detail:
https://www.andymillar.co.uk/blog/index ... explained/
thank you that has put my mind at rest abit, my server is also running sabnzbd and a couple of times when i have checked on my flat from work it has said load 2. something (i have dual core processer so i was thinking "both cores and then some being used eeeeek!" )

I still really need to sort out this email problem at the moment zoneminder gives me the piece of mind that i can check on my flat while at work but if anything happens then they would likely take this pc and all the evidence with it, if i could get the programme to email me the pictures from the events as soon as they have occured i will see in the email whats happened and can contact the police to get them captured and if i find out late i can give the pictures to the police so they can capture them later

the solutions i have tried mainly consist of attempting to set up a local smtp server or a local smtp redirect to gmail server (gmail needs user name and password as well as the smtp address sadly zoneminder doesnt allow you to enter these details (a port number may be required to)
this method is way beyond my linux comfort level the "easy" guides often dont work (files not found etc) the rest apear to be written in some sort of forign language (or use made up words) is there a way to force zoneminder to use the gmail settings inside sabnzbd?
mrgreaper

Post by mrgreaper »

Today disaster struck, i tired to access my web cam and got no response i called up my isp believing my ip may of changed and they informed me my router was off. that ment one of two things 1) i had been burgled 2) a power cut. since i havent had a power cut in over 2 years i lent towards the first one. i was unable to leave my post so i spent 5 hours with this weighing heavy on my mind

luckly it was a power cut (a brief one but long enough to disable my server pc)
the server pc is back up now but had i got email alerts sorted i would have seen that there was no email alert so there fore no intruder and known immediatly it was a power issue or had i been burgled i would of known straight away and would have police there in minutes

I really dont understand why no one is advising me on how to get the email issue fixed, im guessing the lack of user name and authorisation password in the email settings is an oversight but am i wrong is it simply not possible?
henriquejf

Post by henriquejf »

i have a working ubuntu 9.04 sending me emails with images of events and some more tricks; you may find a step-by-step below; please tell if you think it is usefull:

http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... rver_32bit
-----------------------
Henrique Barbosa
Consultant
Juiz de Fora, MG - Brazil
mrgreaper

Post by mrgreaper »

henriquejf wrote:i have a working ubuntu 9.04 sending me emails with images of events and some more tricks; you may find a step-by-step below; please tell if you think it is usefull:

http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... rver_32bit
it helped a hell of a lot i cant thank you enough!

the actual settings in the first step of the email configuration didnt help but put me on the right track a bit of googling later and i found http://www.marksanborn.net/linux/send-m ... ts-server/
followed that step by step but adding sudo before every command and tested with mail SUCCESS ! yay
i then followed the guide you linked me to, to configure the less then user friendly filter screen (took me a while to find how to make a new filter (you just make it and click save)
my load amount has jumped up to 2.something when idle but i found in the FAQ it said that a load of 10. is 100% cpu use for a single core cpu (im a dual core )

Again i cant thank you enough i now have a bit of piece of mind, knowing that if i get robbed the bastards will be on camera and that will be stored in my email box and that if i get it in time i can get the police to my home and catch them

after my holiday (im skint till then) i will donate some cash to zoneminder

ok one problem remains ( a minor one granted ) when i turn the monitier on i drop it from none to modect where it dutifully records me leaving, is there any way to have a time delay on me selecting modect and clicking save and it activating ? 90 seconds would do it ? im guessing it would have to be a script that passes the command to the zm service but no idea on how
henriquejf

Post by henriquejf »

is there any way to have a time delay on me selecting modect and clicking save and it activating ? 90 seconds would do it ?
i suggest you leave zm prepared, stop zm when you need, and make a custom bash script to start in x seconds, for example: (that way you dont need to keep changing the monitor type everytime....)

Code: Select all

root@amdcctv-ub904:~# sleep 2 ; service zm stop ;
Stopping ZoneMinder: success
root@amdcctv-ub904:~# sleep 2 ; service zm start ;
Starting ZoneMinder: success
root@amdcctv-ub904:~#
good to know it helped you so far!
-----------------------
Henrique Barbosa
Consultant
Juiz de Fora, MG - Brazil
mrgreaper

Post by mrgreaper »

it errored saying no such service as zm so i played with the service command and got a list of the services the one called "zoneminder" might of been zm very cunningly hidden :) as a default user i couldnt start and stop it so i added sudo in front of the commands ie:

Code: Select all

mrgreaper@alpha-omega:~$ sleep 2 ; sudo service zoneminder start
Starting ZoneMinder: success

mrgreaper@alpha-omega:~$ sudo service zoneminder stop
$Stopping ZoneMinder: success

Whats with linux not letting you do stuff on your own pc unless you put sudo and type a password ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

but atleast the password is once per seasion (i did sudo sleep 2 to get the prompt)

now i just need to change the sleep 2 to sleep 300 (give me 5 minutes to lock up and im golden thank you