How to get new hardware support

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
Lee Sharp

How to get new hardware support

Post by Lee Sharp »

In another less formal thread, I mentioned my troubles with a GV-800 (Geovision) card. Some interest was expressed in supporting it. I actually have a spare, and (after conferring with my partner) I am willing to loan it (possably donate it, but we have to see how well the project fits our needs first) to someone to see if it can be supported. Now the question is, who should this go to? Obviously, I want to support them as soon as possible, and customs can take time. But I don't want to cut out the project sponsor either! So what do I do?
cordel

Post by cordel »

There are a few things we can do.
First if you have a machine that you can load up with any of the linux distros (although I prefer RH/Fedora) and one of the cards and can open a port for ssh and apache I think I can manage that way.
For the best support you might consider talking to Gerd Knorr of bytesex.org. You would have to donate the card to the cause but he can get the driver patched upstream so thus the kernel for any distro would support your card.
The other option is you can send it to me but if I can't get it going, I forward the card of to the guys at bytesex.org anyway.
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

Wonderful! Please shoot me an e-mail (I am doing the same) with contact info. We have standardized on Ubuntu (We sell mostly managed desktops. This server thing is new ground!) but I can have a system up quite quick. And I will see about sending a card as well. We want a solution fast, as the existing products out there are trash! (Or more expensive that a cheap car) However, it also needs to fit into our existing management, and deployment processes. (Meaning Ubuntu) Looking forward to working with this project!
RockHound

Post by RockHound »

Any update on this project?