CPU/MB Performamce advice

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
javaman

CPU/MB Performamce advice

Post by javaman »

I am using a PV-183 16 port card from bluecherry and it works ok with 3 cameras, but is very slow performing at present (unusable with 5 cameras). This is probably due to my hardware setup (AMD duron 400 or so [don't remember exactly], 640M RAM [3 sticks - 512+64+32]), old Maxtor 10G HD. Just some extra I had lying around to frankenstein together. I plan to replace this with P4 3.2GHz, and 2G RAM, and 400G WD HD.

Will this help, or am I spinning my wheels?
skow

Post by skow »

What capture speeds do you have your cameras set to? You might try lowering the frame rate if that still would provide you with what you need for your application.
cordel

Post by cordel »

It depends on how you configure ZM as to what the harware requirements will really be.
Any time you use analisis like mocord or modetect these services put the most considerable load that increases with frame rate, image size, and color for example. But yes you will see better perfomance from what you "frankenstein together" obviously. and I've seen systems running as many as 24 cams (just helped someone from the forum here yesterday with two machines). Although I couldn't tell you the hardware spec though as I didn't think to look while is was ssh'ed into his machines.