Axis 205 or better camera?

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
dbutcher

Axis 205 or better camera?

Post by dbutcher »

Hi all,
We are currently using one Axis 205 network camera (320x240 resolution) on our system (Zoneminder 1.21.2).
While this camera was easy to connect and configure for Zoneminder, the overall picture quality is acceptable, but not great.
We're looking to expand our system by adding 2 additional cameras and I'm wondering if other network cameras have better picture quality, or if I'm missing something in the setup of our current camera.
The cameras will all be used inside.
Any thoughts appreciated,

Dave
Vancouver, BC, Canada
voronwe

Post by voronwe »

Hi Dave

Generally the Axis 205 / 206 have an ok picture, but i have learned that mony makes the diffrence, this came the hard way for a project i had with a custemer, and we went out and got an Axis 221 Day and Night camera, and the picture quality i alot better, so in other words if mony is not that big an issue i would with the 221 rather than 205/206.
Best Regards
Tom Stage
dbutcher

Post by dbutcher »

Thanks Tom,
I was considering the 221, but didn't want to shell out more money if the quality was no better. So your feedback is very helpful.
Thanks,
Dave
voronwe

Post by voronwe »

Hi Dave

No Problem, and 1 nice thing is the the automatic sawitching to B/W pictures when the lighting gets to low for good coulor pictures, and then alot of other nice features that that camera can deliver.
Best Regards
Tom Stage