PTZ Camera

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
jetheller

PTZ Camera

Post by jetheller »

I'm looking to buy a PTZ camera and wanted to go with Axis, but I can't cough up $1,500 for one single piece of my home security system. Does anyone have a favorite PTZ that is Zoneminder friendly and can be had for <$500?

Thanks in advance.
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Have you looked at the more recent Panasonic ones? They are much cheaper and are pretty high quality. The only disadvantage to the cheapers ones though is a more limited PTZ range and that they are indoors only but this may not be an issue for you. Other than that, and if you aren't just looking at IP cams, I would suggest picking up a 2nd hand Pelco from Ebay or somewhere. With one of those and an RS232<->RS485 convertor you can probably get something or similar quality going for a lot less.

Phil
robocoder

Post by robocoder »

Have you looked at the vk77a from the folks at x10.com?
http://www.x10.com/cameras/vk77a_s_k_ps59.html

The manual for this PTZ colour camera says it has 22x optical zoom. It is priced below $500, but the PTZ function is through programmed settings or controlled by a camera remote.