Really Hi Res Camera

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
jameswilson

Really Hi Res Camera

Post by jameswilson »

Im looking for a way to record megapixel resolution in zm. I assume it can do this if it had enough resources. Questions
1 Any ideas on a camera
2 Any ideas how to get this into the zm box.

James
cordel

Post by cordel »

Something to take into consideration is not only does the camera need to support high resolution but so does the cature card if you use that configuration. Of coarse IP cameras are differant. If you click on some of the google ads I seen one site that I think said they had res ip cameras. I don't know for sure it was a thermal camera that had caught my eye 8)
the camera and capture card are like a fm boombox and antena. If the reciver is built poorly then a better antenna don't help much and the reciver can't work good if it has a crapy antenna :)
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

i thought i was limited to pal with capture cards as my highest res. Was wondering if there was another way that could be cabled like coax that was all
cordel

Post by cordel »

Ahh, there is coax of coarse, and my fav is cat5 since I have plenty of it already running through the house ( I had previously wired all phone and data as cat5e in every room plus runs to the atic and basement). You can use baluns to use cat5 or get an IP server or IP cam. There is also fiber but is abit spendy and you can not run power over it like you can with coax or cat5.
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

thanks Cord but im still curious about getting this kind of resolution into zm? Anyone any knowledge, theorys or just guesses??
James
cordel

Post by cordel »

Hi James,
Most CCTV supports a maximum 600 TV lines of resolution. Both the capture card and the camera have to have this abilty or the best you get is what the lowest device supports. So even if the camera puts out 600 lines if the capture card only can do 480 then 480 is all you get or visa versa. Now with the linux kernel you have to find a high res card that linux has drivers for. Considering these cards start around $600.00 each (thats for a 4 port card) If you are really interested in spending the bucks for a high res 2 MP camera then then an IP camera is the way to go. Capture cards just can't come close. Heres a link to get you going. I think the prices start around ~$1200.00 USD and go up to $20000.00 but the later would be High res thermal. You can also get an 800x600 IP cam for ~$500.00 This is one of the leading manufactures of truely high resolution cameras. This is also what we use where I work.
http://www.ipix.com/products.html
Or the cheaper version
http://www.iqeye.com
Although the axis camera do really well. As alot of other people here can testify.
Regards,
Cordel[/i][/list]
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

Cordel, Thanks. Im looking to try and resolve the comb issue as im not sire that 360 x 288 is high enough. An when i was playing with 640 x 480 etc i thought well why dont i go even higher, all i need is a camera that will etc etc. Thanks for ur input the cameras u mentioned do you get them direct or is there distrobution in the uk you know of?
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

I have an Axis megapixel camera, 206M I think is the model. It works at 1024x768 (if I recall) correctly.

It works just fine in ZM but obviously is correspondingly slower to process than smaller resolutions. In my case it's a bit of overkill so I use it at a lower resolution anyway.

Phil
JasonH

206M

Post by JasonH »

For the 206M it's 1280 x 1024 according to a sample snap I have from a demo site which unfortunately doesn't seem to be up at the moment. Crazy resolution!

James as you point out PAL cameras interlace above quarter resolution which makes captured stills look really annoying. You're probably best going for a network camera to get the higher res. The Axis 206 cameras are very good but they have CMOS sensors which make them unsuitable for exposure to bright daylight. Be prepared to be limited to very low frame rates for megapixel cameras. You will also need plenty of memory for Zoneminder to buffer the images.
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

t i am looking for is a way to record a wide view (at low fps 1fps would do) that contains a lot of info for use after an event, eg number plates etc. I assumed that ip cams were the way forward, but after my experience of axis cams they like perfect condition (plenty of light as long as its not to much) My ideal setup would have been a high res cam to view entrances etc then 2 or so full function domes on tour. I was just looking for a way to do it using a camera not necaceraly designed for security.

Regards James