Are FireWire IEEE-1394A cards and cameras supported?

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
Harmonitron

Are FireWire IEEE-1394A cards and cameras supported?

Post by Harmonitron »

I've bought four Unibrain Fire-i cameras to install on a machine so the operator can monitor some hard-to-see stations. I was going to try writing a VB interface on an XP box but I'd like to move over to Linux. I've been using the Ubuntu distribution (based on Debian) at home for several months but mainly via the GUI.

My application is to set up a very simple 4-camera security-style system. The four cameras will be shown tiled on one monitor. I don't need web access but that would be a bonus.

Q1. Is FireWire supported?
Q2. Anything else I should know?

For anyone who's interested www.firstsightvision.co.uk are very helpful for professional enquiries. They have a "Machine Vision Handbook" for components for machine vision and excellent detailed technology overviews on illumination, optics, cameras, etc.

The Fire-i camera is £68. It looks cheap but the picture quality is good and there is a tripod mount adaptor available. You can also daisy-chain the cameras on the FireWire cable.

Code: Select all

UNIB DIGCAM-TRIPOD-MNT	4		Tripod adaptor	 £3.00 
UNIB FB-RED-NOL	1		FireBoard red	 £26.00 
UNIB DIGCAM-OEM	4		Fire-I Camera	 £68.00 
UNIB DIGCAM-CD	 1		Camera software	 no charge
UNIB CAB6T6-100	1		10m camera cable 6-6pin	 £25.00 
UNIB CAB6T6-020	2		2m camera cable 6-6pin	 £10.00 
UNIB CAB6T6-045	1		4.5m camera cable 6-6pin	 £11.00 
UNIB CAB6T4-045	1		4.5m camera cable 4-6pin	 £11.00
cordel

Post by cordel »

I'm almost ashamed, I have a firewire card and a video camera that is capable of firewire and have not even tried litalone thought about it. I'll give it a shot and post results here. I'm sure it should work.
Also yes ZM has a web interface and currently is the only interface.
Regards,
Cordel
Harmonitron

Post by Harmonitron »

Thanks, Cordel. This project a background task for me so I'm making slow progress. I'd appreciate any info.