Whats the best card for ZM? Highest FPS? Most local ports?

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
SifuDean

Whats the best card for ZM? Highest FPS? Most local ports?

Post by SifuDean »

Hi,

I want to know from everyones experience the following information.

What is the best capture card for ZM?

I would judge this from two other piece's of information being the maximum FPS supported per port and the maximum number of ports possible in a single ZM server.

So what has everyone found out in their experience?

I have one non-ZM system that my developers wrote that has 24 ports possible at 6fps - fps for a specific requirement.

Any details would be welcome.

Regards,

Deano
SifuDean

Post by SifuDean »

Hi all,

No one responded as yet... Come on we want to hear your stats and thoughts on the cards etc...

Regards,

Deano
cordel

Post by cordel »

I think most of you answers would be found in the hardware compatibility part of the forum. I think a majority of users don't invest alot in different cards so comparisons are difficult.
Most cards that are used are all based on the BT878A chip so relatively most all the cards perform the same for the most part. The largest difference would be for example the Spectra 8 by ituner where they use four BT878A chips which dedicates one BT878A chip for each of the four inputs on the card or, if you add the daughter card two inputs per chip. Some of the less expensive cards use all four inputs on the single BT878A chip.
Regards,
Cordel
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

my experience is limited with cards, I have a hauppage (osprey 100) dvb, an ebay 878 thing and am waiting on a 4 input 4 chip card to arrive. When it does and i have had a play i will be replying to your post. btw my 2 other cards work a treat and i will be doing a multicard install just to see.

James
Baylink

Well, Sifu...

Post by Baylink »

the best card is one with a chip for each input.

Does that help you any? :-)
SifuDean

update with our experience...

Post by SifuDean »

Hi,

We have just finished a site with our commercial DVR product (Linux based) with Six (6) Type A cards (BT878A) in a single machine.

Finding a 6 PCI slot motherboard was more trouble then we wanted but it all worked and each port is accessable.

You have to rewrite the driver but it is possible to do.

The next trick will be higher port count per card...

Regards,

Deano
Blazer

Post by Blazer »

I would think 2 or 3 quad port (4 chip) cards would be better than a bunch of single input cards.
SifuDean

Post by SifuDean »

Hi,

Good point - that is what we are doing next. Currently the trick is to address and read from six type 'A' cards in the same machine - that done, we have to look at higher density cards for more then the current 24 ports we have now.

Ofcourse we don't want to support six 8 or 6 port cards in the same box but we will test it if we get that number of cards sitting here for any length of time.

The main reason is so that we can free up slots for other cards like Raid, I/O cards etc...

Regards,

Deano