Pan/Tilt/Zoom Cameras

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
jetheller

Pan/Tilt/Zoom Cameras

Post by jetheller »

What is your favorite PTZ camera and why (cost, functionality, quality)? You don't even have to own one. Just if you were going to purchase one, which would you get (or if you already own one, explain its merits)?
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

I quite like the new Panasonic ones as described here

They seem pretty flexible and tho Panasonic doesn't have anywhere near the level of documentation and developer support as Axis, the cameras seem a llot cheaper.

Phil
SyRenity

Post by SyRenity »

Vivotek goes for me.

http://www.vivotek.com/

They have an excellent line of PTZ cameras - just note, that most of them are MPEG, which means that they are not compatible with ZM.

They do have a dual mode model: http://www.vivotek.com/index.php?option ... Itemid=117
The only drawback is its cost.
jetheller

Post by jetheller »

If I could stop buying other gagets long enough to get a pan/tilt/zoom, I'd go with this. Performance per dollar looks like the best. A sub $300 camera with a CCD sensor, 1lux capability, and pan/tilt/zoom. Of course, the 320X240 resolution certainly leaves a lot to be desired, but since my security box has a plethora of other responsibilities, managing 320X240 is all I'm feed it anyways.

Anyways, my next camera will likely be the wireless model of the one I linked, and that probably has a lot to do with that dlink being the cheapest pan/tilt/zoom CCD out there.
jamesw.smith

active-X don't work with ZZZM?

Post by jamesw.smith »

jetheller wrote:If I could stop buying other gagets long enough to get a pan/tilt/zoom, I'd go with this. Performance per dollar looks like the best. A sub $300 camera with a CCD sensor, 1lux capability, and pan/tilt/zoom. Of course, the 320X240 resolution certainly leaves a lot to be desired, but since my security box has a plethora of other responsibilities, managing 320X240 is all I'm feed it anyways.

Anyways, my next camera will likely be the wireless model of the one I linked, and that probably has a lot to do with that dlink being the cheapest pan/tilt/zoom CCD out there.
I don't think this camera (DCS_5300) will work with ZM becaues it requires Active-X. Am I wrong? My 950g won't work with ZM for that reason, I think?
SyRenity

Re: active-X don't work with ZZZM?

Post by SyRenity »

jamesw.smith wrote:
jetheller wrote:If I could stop buying other gagets long enough to get a pan/tilt/zoom, I'd go with this. Performance per dollar looks like the best. A sub $300 camera with a CCD sensor, 1lux capability, and pan/tilt/zoom. Of course, the 320X240 resolution certainly leaves a lot to be desired, but since my security box has a plethora of other responsibilities, managing 320X240 is all I'm feed it anyways.

I don't think this camera (DCS_5300) will work with ZM becaues it requires Active-X. Am I wrong? My 950g won't work with ZM for that reason, I think?
AFAIK it's a MPEG4 only camera, although they write in the specs that it has "JPEG compression for still image".

BTW, Vivotek has expaded their line of their dual codec cameras (http://www.vivotek.com/index.php?option ... Itemid=103). They added non-PTZ cameras, which are cheaper then the PTZ one.
JasonH

Post by JasonH »

Hi,

From the manual for the Vivotek camera that you linked to on page 84:
Capture Single Snapshot

Note: This request require normal user priviledge
Method: GET/POST

Syntax:
http://<servername>/cgi-bin/video.jpg

Server will return the most up-to-date snapshot in JPEG format. The size and quality of image will be set according to the JPEG settings on the server.
So you should be able to use this camera with Zoneminder. I was thinking of getting one of these myself, I'll post back if I do and it works :)

J
SyRenity

Post by SyRenity »

So you should be able to use this camera with Zoneminder. I was thinking of getting one of these myself, I'll post back if I do and it works :).
Thanks - I will as well post the results, if I will purchase this model.
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

I'm talking to someone at Vivoteck about getting access to a couple of their cameras, either physically or remotely so I can validate that they work with ZM. They are being a bit cagey though and I'm having trouble getting anything out of them at the moment.

Phil
zoomkat

Post by zoomkat »

Not for the pros, but if you like to tinker, you can make your own simple pan/tilt cams for little $$$. This is a windows webcam setup, but most will also apply to a linux based web cam setup. The below link shows the hardware setup and the bottom link is the cam.

http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/ezservo.htm
http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/ezservo1.htm
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

if i could get hold of the dennard protocol would it be easy to implement. And do i need permission from them?
mazgon

Post by mazgon »

Hello to all,
I'm new to this forum and to zoneminder! I have a very important question, for me, Panasonic KX-HCM280 is compatible with zoneminder? Because I have 4 new Panasonic network cameras that I would like to use with zoneminder!

Thanx!
cordel

Post by cordel »

zoneminder wrote:They are being a bit cagey though and I'm having trouble getting anything out of them at the moment.
Maybe they just don't want us to buy their cameras :x
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

I have a KX-HCM10 which works just fine with ZM. I've not tried a 280 but I doubt it's very different. I can't guarantee it though !

Phil
mazgon

Post by mazgon »

zoneminder wrote:I have a KX-HCM10 which works just fine with ZM. I've not tried a 280 but I doubt it's very different. I can't guarantee it though !

Phil
can you explain me how can I configure the monitor to see my panasonic netcam or where can I found some documentation about the correct path and others parameters?