I need a webcam

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
Renato

I need a webcam

Post by Renato »

HI !

So far I was using net cameras but, to reduce costs, I would like to use one webcam to monitor my servers room. But, i looked for in the site of creative and I did not find webcam that he functions in linux.

Somebody could indicate a good one webcam that it functions in linux (FC3)?

TY ! :wink:
[]s,
Renato Pinheiro
www.gpi.ufrj.br
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

USB webcams under Linux are a bit of a tricky business as manufacturers release them so frequently. So Model 1 might be Win only, Model 2 might work under Linux and then Model 3 might be back to Win only. In which case you might have to search for an older version than what is curently in the shops.

I have an older Creative Webcam which works just fine but I don't think any of the newer ones do. In case you can find it, the OV511 chipset appears to be the best supported but often it's impossible to figure out before buying what chipset a camera has. You could try looking here as this list is quite extensive though I don't know how up-to-date it is.

The other thing to be aware of is that you may have to load the driver explicitly and you may also need to manage the bus bandwidth manually if you have more than one USB cam.

Phil
Renato

Post by Renato »

I found in a store here in Brazil a logitech webcam that it functions with linux. The problem is that the price is not good, webcam it is only a little cheaper than Netcam (DCS-900) and these I know.
[]s,
Renato Pinheiro
www.gpi.ufrj.br