Hardware recommendations for true streaming support?

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
hp1

Hardware recommendations for true streaming support?

Post by hp1 »

OK, excuse the stupid question. I am just about to get into setting up a security camera for my front door and haven't found a specific answer.

From the docs, it looks like zone minder is a really cool program. What I want to do is to have a camera at the front door that will capture who is there as well as any motion in my front yard.

However, I also want to be able to see who is at the front door when I'm in the basement. To do this I need to be able to access a streaming URL (ie. mms://ipaddress:port). Is there any hardware that can do this, or any other suggestions?

Sorry for the vague question, I just want to make sure I can do what I'm planning prior to buying hardware.

thanks

-h
cordel

Post by cordel »

Okay, I'm trying to understand what you mean spacificly and I think I get the jest of it.
The answer whould be yes in either case.
You could configure it for another port than 80 I set mine in the 10000 area so that I can veiw them remotely through my fire wall and of course have that port forwarded the the ZM box. Also I have it Listening to port 80 just so when I'm on the local network I don't have to type a port.
Hopefully this answers your question.
Cheers,
Cordel
hp1

Post by hp1 »

So, Zoneminder actually streams out standard mms:// streaming protocol?

So, I could get an inexpensive camera (say the dlink one), attach it to my network, configure zoneminder, then at a client computer on my network use the URL mms://zoneminder.ip/ and get a live stream of what the camera sees? If this is true, it is amazing!

If so, what's the current view on the best budget camera that delivers best bang-for-the-buck. The only constraint is that the camera I set up needs to be a network camera as the server is in the basement and not easy for direct connections.

Thanks again for the help!

-h
cordel

Post by cordel »

It streams over http;// protocal and can capture mjpeg streams on http://<ip-address>:<port>/<path-to jpeg>
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Can you provide a link to the mms protocol or some example links? I have to say I've never heard of it nor seen it referred to anywhere. If it's relavtively simple then it's something that could be added to ZM but currently jpegs, mpjpegs or mpegs over http is all that is supported.

Phil