frame rate with 4xinput on one BT878

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
gungner

frame rate with 4xinput on one BT878

Post by gungner »

HI,

I can't just get it, if I use one input I can change frame rate, if I use two it seams that it always divide 8 with the amount of active inputs? If I understand this right, the BT878 can handle 25 frames/sec and it gets divided between all inputs. That is, should it not be about 6 and not 2 as I get using all four inputs? All cameras have 10 as maximum frame rate.

cheers, tord
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

You have to add in a certain amount of time for the input to be switched and the video re-synced. Expensive cards can do this quickly I believe, so you'll get nearer the 25/n fps you expect, but cheaper cards don't have very good switching circuits so you'll end up getting a lot less performance.

Phil
gungner

Post by gungner »

that sounds terrable! A card with 4 inputs can only manage 2 frames a second when all cameras are connected? Who wants a card like that? I thought the drawback was just that all settings had to be the same for the cameras, not to end up with 2 f/s. Well one learn all the time.

I just tested with reducing the view to 192x144px and the frame rate increased to a wooping 2.12 f/s :shock: Another strage thing is that when running 4xinputs the picture gets over exposed, why?

cheers, tord
victor_diago

Post by victor_diago »

hi,

i can run 4 cameras at about 5 fps each in a 4 input bt878 card

i really dont know why you didnt got same result...

victor diago
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

As I said above, it depends on the quality of components and engineering on the card. Cheap cards are slower, I don't think there's any getting away from it :cry:

Phil
gungner

Post by gungner »

Victor, can you please tell me what you have? On my board it's almost just bt878, all inputs goes AC-coupled direct to bt878. I send a link to a picture of my card. http://www.tabykyrkby.net/images/bt878.jpg

It just cann't be true :cry:

cheers, tord
lazyleopard

Post by lazyleopard »

gungner wrote:Another strage thing is that when running 4xinputs the picture gets over exposed, why?
I'd guess there's a problem with the colour/contrast/brightness settings. Another constraint on single-chip boards is that you have to have one set of settings to work for all cameras.
Rick Hewett