Outdoor Cameras

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
val42

Outdoor Cameras

Post by val42 »

I'd like to put some cameras for Zoneminder outside. But the ones that I've found are only for -10C (14F) to 50C. Here in Ogden, Utah the outside temperatures commonly get to -18C (0F) and a few years ago got down to -29C (-20F). It doesn't even get close to the upper range of these cameras, maybe 44C (111F) at most.

I don't expect that the extreme low temperatures will happen, but the camera should be able to go down to -20C (-4F). Any recommendations?

Also, I found some outdoor cameras at Home Depot yesterday for $49.95. They specifically say that they are meant to be out of precipitation. I looked over the entire packaging but I didn't find any temperature ranges. Even though they are for sale in this area, I don't automatically trust that they checked the temperature range. Any one know what the temperature range of these cameras are?
cordel

Post by cordel »

I'm not aware of any cameras that do well at those temperatures but you might consider getting an outdoor enclosure with a heater built in. They run on 24 VAC and cost around $50 USD. That would keep the camera in a tolerable range and prevent fogging and iceing.