Newbie question, 4 port card with 4 878A

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

let me know how you get on with it cos this looks goooood!!

James
stuorguk

Post by stuorguk »

jameswilson wrote:let me know how you get on with it cos this looks goooood!!
James
Well, I have it up and running. I'm getting a bit of noise on the picture. If I plug in a second cam, it gets a lot worse, and sometimes I can see bits of the second image bleeding into the first. Not looking good so far.

I wondered if maybe it's some kind of refresh rate problem, like it's on 60Hz NTSC, when it should be on 50hz PAL. Switching from PAL to NTSC makes no difference at all... should it? I would have expected to have at least lost the colour, but nothing seemed to change.

Also the colours are very washed out, although it was on my previous single-chip card, so I will worry about that later.

Stuart.
stuorguk

Post by stuorguk »

Now this is getting weird! I am sat at work, and I can see my empty driveway at home with the wheelie-bin I put out just before I left. Yet, I can see my car bleeding into the image. My car is here with me!

At the bottom, you can just see my car. It's more clear when it's being streamed, as you get different bit's of the car image.[/img]
stuorguk

Post by stuorguk »

:D Fixed!

I reinstalled the bttv drivers from CVS (which initially made the picture worse), then I tried the output from /dev/video1 (same camera channel), and looks OK (except it still looks washed out).

Stuart.
stuorguk

Post by stuorguk »

I spoke too soon. The live images I am getting are being merged into older images. If there is no movement for a long time, everything looks fine, as the old images are the same as the new. If something comes into view, you get a mix of old and new images. The old images are anything from a few seconds to a few hours old. I just watched my cat walk across my drive in a loop! Thats what gets recorded too, and a new event gets triggered each time.

Stuart.
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

wierd lol
conor

Post by conor »

Stuart,

When you have this is the rest of the picture still "live". In other words can you see people walking at the end of your driveway and so on.

I'm asking has the picture frozen in this bad state really.

As to the picture looking washed out, are you using a camera with IR vision for seeing at night? Very often these are somewhat washed out during the day because no IR filter is applied and the IR reflected from sunlight is washing everything out. Have you tried hooking the same camera to the TV (without powering it off). It could be a dud camera that is leaving those bad interlace lines.

Conor Downey
stuorguk

Post by stuorguk »

conor wrote: When you have this is the rest of the picture still "live". In other words can you see people walking at the end of your driveway and so on.
Yes, it seems i'm getting live images merged in with older images that streak across the picture.
conor wrote: As to the picture looking washed out, are you using a camera with IR vision for seeing at night? Very often these are somewhat washed out during the day because no IR filter is applied and the IR reflected from sunlight is washing everything out. Have you tried hooking the same camera to the TV (without powering it off). It could be a dud camera that is leaving those bad interlace lines.
Conor Downey
Yes, it's got IR vision. I have tried connecting it to a TV, and it looked fine. I was using it indoors, so I guess that explains it. thanks.

This is what I am seeing in the Messages log

Code: Select all

Oct 16 12:04:11 cctv bttv0: SCERR @ 0b997014,bits: VSYNC HSYNC FBUS SCERR*
Oct 16 12:04:11 cctv zmc_d0[11320]: ERR [Sync failure for frame 4 buffer 0(1): Invalid argument]
Oct 16 12:04:11 cctv bttv0: SCERR @ 0b99701c,bits: VSYNC HSYNC FBUS SCERR*
Oct 16 12:04:11 cctv bttv0: SCERR @ 0b99701c,bits: VSYNC HSYNC SCERR*
Oct 16 12:04:11 cctv zmc_d0[11320]: ERR [Sync failure for frame 4 buffer 1(1): Invalid argument]
Oct 16 12:04:11 cctv bttv0: SCERR @ 0b997014,bits: VSYNC HSYNC SCERR*
Oct 16 12:04:11 cctv bttv0: SCERR @ 0b99701c,bits: VSYNC HSYNC SCERR*
Oct 16 12:04:11 cctv zmc_d0[11320]: ERR [Sync failure for frame 4 buffer 2(1): Invalid argument]
Oct 16 12:04:11 cctv bttv0: timeout: drop=11156 irq=2074981/2074981, risc=098df9
Oct 16 12:04:12 cctv bttv0: reset, reinitialize
conor

Post by conor »

Stuart,

Time to start knocking this thread into shape. The title for this thread is not what it is about any longer so you could take some of the information from about your post on 12 October on and post it in a new thread. Suggested title is "Parts from old frames appearing while getting synchronisation errors".

You need the sample picture and an outline of some information that you have already provided such as the fact that you switched input type from PAL to NTSC and it didn't seem to make much difference.

You need to provide:
  • Linux version
    Kernel version (plus mention of any customisations)
    Parameters passed to the bttv modprobe
    Card name (is it the Kodicom 4400R you got from HK?)
    Motherboard name, chipset and processor used
    What you've set up on zm (is it really 4 channels at 25fps? PAL? Picture size? etc.)
Oh and the important thing is those last error messages you have received so post a message at the end of this thread once you have created the new one, referencing the new thread with a URL. Similarly you could have a reference to this thread from the new one. The colour problem we'll come back to once this issue is solved.

The SCERR stands for synchronisation error. Try Ctl-Alt-F12 and see if you are seeing those messages being reported in realtime as it happens. Let's see that new thread !

And since it is a 4400R are you only using the four connectors on the card?

Conor Downey
stuorguk

Post by stuorguk »

conor wrote:Stuart,

Time to start knocking this thread into shape. The title for this thread is not what it is about any longer so you could take some of the information from about your post on 12 October on and post it in a new thread.
Point taken. Problem solved anyway - I tried using the "triton1" option, on the bttv driver, and the picture is now stable.

Stuart.
zm_tester

Post by zm_tester »

I can source Kodicom 4400R shipped from Hong Kong.

Card price = US$ 100 (negotiable if quantity is large)
From HK to UK by air mail = US$ 40

Accept Paypal payment.