Video motion detector IC

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
jasonb

Video motion detector IC

Post by jasonb »

Has anybody looked into integrating a standard cam with the VMD-19 Video Motion Detector IC for off-system motion detection ? Could be a cool way to reduce the CPU overhead.

Ref: http://www.dontronics.com/farco.html
bikerfreak

Post by bikerfreak »

This would be an interesting solution to high CPU load with multiple cameras on a single server. A few things you will lose with this solution is the frames leading up to the motion, which will be lost. Also, the chip doesn't seem to allow masking.

One thing that the chip manufacturers mentioned which confuses me is that the picture is (PUSHED) to the recorder when motion is detected. Pardon my ignorance, but is that how all cameras work? Is video being pushed all the time or do the cameras have to be polled (or triggered) for data?
jasonb

Post by jasonb »

I'm not sure about the 'pushed' notes.

I was thinking about wiring the chip in parallel to the video circuit so zm could capture frames as it always does, when a change is detected on-chip we could use that signal to trigger an input on a serial or parallel port, and trigger the zm frame analysis at that point so the masking etc applies.

In theory it should work.... I have to get zm working first.

Cheers
Jason.