Vcenter NC1000W (NC-1000-W10) Wireless Camera?

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
pdxbrit

Vcenter NC1000W (NC-1000-W10) Wireless Camera?

Post by pdxbrit »

Hi Folks,

Has anyone had any experience of the VCenter NC1000W Wireless Ethernet Camera, it supposedly supports night vision as well.

Here's a link to an ebay sale,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 23711&rd=1

and the sellers information page on the camera.

http://www.bluwireless.com/products/nc1000w10.html

Just wondered about picture quality, reliability of drivers under linux etc.

Cheers, Mark.
marcandtraci

Post by marcandtraci »

I am new to network cameras, so I am NOT an expert.
I just purchased a VCenter NC1000W camera from KingofGadgets.com. It was $162 including shipping. I expect to receive it this week. I did find a working demo of this camera:
http://altontech.dyndns.org/Simple/index.htm?Cus?Logo
Both the Username and Password is GUEST
As this is a CMOS camera, don't expect a great picture. I'm guessing that it is fair at best, but it seems to work. I will know more soon when I receive mine, so just ask if you want more info. I did notice that the manufacturer has a very recent firmware upgrade, so at least they are actively researching their products.
Good luck!
Marc
pdxbrit

Post by pdxbrit »

Thanks Marc,

Let me know how things go with it. I'm still thinking of picking one up.

Cheers, Mark.
marcandtraci

Post by marcandtraci »

Mark,
I got the camera today. For the price, it's pretty decent. In the daytime, the picture is pretty good with a good framerate. Nighttime, the picture quality drops dramatically. The IR leds are not strong, so don't expect them to light a room at night. Sound quality is poor, but it works. Sound can only be heard when viewing with Internet explorer. The focus is manual, so expect some running between camera and computer to get it right.
I haven't yet been able to get the wireless to connect with my router. It is currently wired. I'm sure its something I'm doing wrong. I'm new to wireless networking and learning.
Cons: When a user logs on, he can change very little EXCEPT THE USERS PASSWORD! That is stupid. Setting up a free domain name is quite easy. I'll leave mine open for a day or so so you can see.
http://marcscam.homeip.net
User name= guest
NO password
Marc
kstraka

Status update?

Post by kstraka »

I'm very interested in picking up one of these cameras, they seem to have the best features and for only $150....how has it been working out? Were you able to get it to work in wireless mode? Any problems with getting ZoneMinder do work properly with it? How much illumination do the IR LEDs provide?

How's the picture quality? A lot of people seem to have those DCS-1000W cameras, and say the contrast sucks and you can't use them in full sunlight, how does this one compare? Thanks for the info!

Ken
ferby

Ooh, I want an NC1000-W10 too

Post by ferby »

But again I'm wondering what the quality is like and whether it will work in the UK and what the 'night vision' is like (I suspect it's not much cop). Anyone got any actual images and testimonials for me?!

Ta!
zanxx

Post by zanxx »

I recently purchased 4 of these cameras for a friends security project from KingOfGadgets.com (I beleive they're the same company as BluWireless.com - they all are plastered all over eBay).

The quality of the image really is dependent on your lighting environment. Overall, it's not that bad for a CMOS camera. The internal software is really lacking not only in features but in quality. I must add, that I had to return two of the cameras for replacement since they would sort of crash after about 20minutes to a few hours. The internal web server would still be active, but they stopped streaming video and capturing stills until you reset them. I haven't yet received them back...

Configuration is a bit messy. If you're accessing it with a non-IE browser it's even more primitive. You might be able to change the agent-string to fool it, however it uses an ActiveX control under IE for the camera view. I originally thought I might be able to get the cameras to save short video clips to disk or an FTP server, however the only way to say video is through the ActiveX control and you must do this manually. I'm now just uploading jpegs via an FTP serv.

The "night vision" consists an array of 8 infared LED's. They work well for close objects, but don't expect much distance.

I'm hoping the firmware will get better over-time.
soundey

Post by soundey »

I have one of these camera's VNC-1000 and im have a bit of trouble with it and wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar..

Ok i stand by the window with the camera in my hand, i aim it within the room and it works fine. constant streaming no interuptions. I then aim the camera out of the window and everything locks up untill i face it back inside again. This happens wether its daylight or night time with a security light lighting up the outside. Its starting to bug me as i bought the camera to be used for outside.

Anyone have any ideas?

Apart from this i have had no other problems, it has crashed on me once but i was hammering the configuration so i blame myself. For what it costs u cant really loose. pretty hungry on bandwidth tho, full res = 1mbps+
thecollected

Post by thecollected »

Just found this thread and was hoping someone who has this camera can help me. I was able to install the camera to work while it was connected to the computer. But, while fiddling with the setting to make it work wirelessly, somehow I caused the computer to fail to recognize the camera anymore! When I open up IpEdit software it does not show any installed cameras. I have tried rebooting, reinstalling and even restoring my computer to a point before I installed the camera the first time but to no avail. At this point I am very frustrated as I bought it through ebay (from kingofgadgets) and don't have a great chance of exchange or refund. I have looked on the camera and there doesn't seem to be a reset button.
Can anybody suggest what else I can do to make this bloody thing work again? Much appreciated.
harbaskin

Post by harbaskin »

Hi,

The reset button is a very small hole at the front of the camera, you need to press the button with the blunt end of a pin and hold it down for at least 5 seconds, this will default the configuration.

BTW: Good luck with KingOfGadgets, I brought 3 NC-1000W10 cams, one is faulty, but they wont even respond to my emails for a warranty exchange despite it being within the warranty period.. Goodbye $200 :(

On another note: check this site out, it has a handy tip for integrating the cams into ZoneMinder:
http://www.drgw.net/~maverick/electronics/wbipcams/

By setting ZM to remote and pointing it at
http://camera.address/Jpeg/CamImg.jpg seems to work quite well.
thecollected

Post by thecollected »

Thanks, I got the camera reset but am still having problems getting it to work wirelessly. I have it set up to email me the dynamic IP address through DHCP and it does but I just get the default 404 message when I access the page. I guess I'll keep fiddling with it and see if I can make it work.

BTW, thanks for that link about integrating into ZM.