PCI watchdog Timer Board

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
madmax

PCI watchdog Timer Board

Post by madmax »

I recently purchased a PCI watchdog timer board for my ZM machine. I am looking for ZM to 'tickle' the timer board every 30 seconds or so to prevent the system from being rebooted. To do this, I need to issue a command: echo tickle > /proc/pcwd
Which zm*.pl would this command best be issued from?

Thanks
Bicster

Post by Bicster »

It would arguably make much more sense just to install the Linux Watchdog package. Also, many modern motherboards have a hardware watchdog anyway (i.e., any Intel chipset i810 & later, and others) so you simply need to load the right kernel module and start the watchdog daemon.

Code: Select all

Begin3
Title:          watchdog
Version:        6.0
Entered-date:   27Dec01
Description:    A software watchdog.
Keywords:       daemon automatic-reboot
Author:         meskes@debian.org (Michael Meskes)
Maintained-by:
Primary-site:   tsx-11.mit.edu /pub/linux/sources/sbin
                100K watchdog-6.0.tar.gz
Alternate-site: metalab.unc.edu /pub/linux/system/daemons/watchdog
                100K watchdog-6.0.tar.gz
Alternate-site: ftp.debian.org /debian/development/source/misc
                100K watchdog_6.0.orig.tar.gz
Original-site:
Platforms:      Linux 1.3.51+
Copying-policy: GPL
End
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

If you do want to put this in ZM, then I would suggest that zmwatch.pl would be the best place as it's a watchdog script anyway.

Phil,
Doug

Post by Doug »

I'm wondering if you found a bug in ZM which caused you to purchase a watchdog board? Or is it just an extra level of protection, like putting the system on a UPS, setting the BIOS to restart on powerfail, installing on JFS, etc?
madmax

Post by madmax »

Doug,
I just bought the PCI watchdog for added security. I have a machine dedicated to ZM, so I want to ensure it's always working. Plus, winning the eBay auction for $10 doesnt hurt either!