Hardware needed for 4-6 30fps cameras?

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
Bicster

Hardware needed for 4-6 30fps cameras?

Post by Bicster »

I want to set up between 4-6 cameras around the outside of my home and capture from them at a full 30fps when motion is detected. Any suggestions on what kind of hardware would be needed to do this would be great. Obviously multiplexed cards are out of the question.

Aside from CPU power, does anyone know the bandwidth requirements for one full-motion capture on the PCI bus (bt8x8 chip)? Do I need to go with the 8-channel PCI66 card from LML? I'd like to go with a single 4-channel card and the two 1-channel bt8x8 cards I already have, if possible.

I've used motion in the past with a 1-channel bt8x8 card, and it worked great. (We were able to figure out which cat didn't use the litter box!) Now my wife wants something much more elaborate. We've been burgled twice in the last two weeks... :x

Thanks!