hardware advise, capture card and computer

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
thelight

hardware advise, capture card and computer

Post by thelight »

Hi

Im planning to install cctv into our home due to an increase in vandalism and such around our estate. It is going to incorporate 4 sony bullet camera's ( http://www.y3kvision.com/acatalog/info%5f194%2ehtml )

Im planning on using zoneminder on a computer ill build myself. Hopefully ill be able to import a spectra8 capture card. What I need to know before building the system, is how powerful it needs to be. If possible id like to capture from all cameras at 25fps and at at least 640x480 resolution. This would however be motion capture only so not 24/7 recording. Its mainly just cpu speed and amount of ram that i need advice on, and possibly fast a harddrive id need to cope with this, and size.

Additionally ill be installing a wireless network card into the machine and streaming the video id guess in collage mode to 3 computers around the house, so, what speed of wireless would i need to go for to have this running smoothly?

thanks for the information

Simon