Core/Thread count and number of streams

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
davorin

Core/Thread count and number of streams

Post by davorin »

Good morning (o;

Just installed zoneminder 1.34.22 on my Shuttle P51U which serves as a test system for NVR softwares..
So far tested bluecherry and shinobi...but wasn't happy with them...

Now I've setup 4 RTSP streams (low quality 720p cameras) and the systems runs fine....even watching all 4 streams in a browser doesn't bring the system down...

I see for each stream a zmc capture and a zma analyzer process....

Now my question..are those processes threaded?

The final setup would be at least 1440p cameras and 4 to 6 streams....so is there just one zmc/zma thread running per stream or can they run on multiple cores/threads on the CPU if needed?

Is there a general rule like "resolution x streams = 2 * core/thread count" ?

For a test I tried just one 1440p stream...although the CPU load of zmc and zma were both below 50% the recording showed only artifacts...and as such marked everything as alarm frame....

Currently I had following Intel NUCs in mind:

- NUC i5-10210U, 4 cores, 8 threads
- NUC i7-10710U, 6 cores, 12 threads

Not sure if I should go with a Ryzen system and 8 cores, 16 threads and a NVidia GPU....though haven't seen any positive impact in using Intel GPU at the moment...

thanks in advance
richard
davorin

Re: Core/Thread count and number of streams

Post by davorin »

Hmm...really nobody has a comment on this?

Or should I go big with a 12-core AMD Ryzen and a NVidia GPU for 6 * 5MP h264 streams?