Server required for 24 IP cameras registration

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
jhn

Server required for 24 IP cameras registration

Post by jhn »

Hello,

I have to install a system of videos recording and I need some advices for the server.
For the moment I have 6 dahua cameras (IPC-HDBW4433R) connected to 2 computers with Ubuntu 20.04, 3 on each computer. They record movies by ZoneMinder 24/7 on internal HDD.
This works very fine and I want to use ZoneMinder on new project but I don't know what's necessary for servers...

The new server will have to manage 24 cameras (probably TRENDnet TV-IP325PI), we need 24/7 recording during few days with high quality.
This installation will be doubled, with a ZoneMinder management divided but perhaps a server can manage images from both installations ?
I have no idea what server can manage that so I search some advices. For visualisation of cameras and in order to spare ZoneMinder I have found this topic : https://wiki.zoneminder.com/IpCamMontage, I think it's a good solution.

Thanks by advance for your replies and advices (and thanks for the forum, I have already find lot of help !).
I'm open to discuss of all the points of my message,

Johan
burger

Re: Server required for 24 IP cameras registration

Post by burger »

So uh, you want to know what hardware to use? Here you go:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=30104
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=29953
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=29706
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=29484
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=29339
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=29338

Basically: Get server / high end CPU, get lots of cores, and lots of HDDs. Tune ZM appropriately.
fastest way to test streams:
ffmpeg -i rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path ./output.mp4 (if terminal only)
ffplay rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path (gui)
find paths on ispydb or in zm hcl

If you are new to security software, read:
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Dummies_Guide
jhn

Post by jhn »

Hello burger,

Thank's for your time !

I had already read some of your link and I have read those I had not found before.
If I understand a server like a Intel NUC is a good solution for my installation, but with wich specifications? I understand the core number and the RAM is the key point, but how many ?!

I'm lost for find a server... I've also read this : https://zoneminder.readthedocs.io/en/st ... erver.html I don't know if it's a good solution for me...

Hope you can help me.

Joahn
burger

Post by burger »

Small X86 boards are only good for a few cameras.

Why don't you install ZM and see how it performs? It's free software. Try a core duo. $50 online, or at your local recycler.

I don't recommend multiserver unless you know what you are doing.
fastest way to test streams:
ffmpeg -i rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path ./output.mp4 (if terminal only)
ffplay rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path (gui)
find paths on ispydb or in zm hcl

If you are new to security software, read:
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Dummies_Guide
Magic919

Post by Magic919 »

I wouldn’t mess about with small machines. You already use ZM.

They are not high resolution cameras, but it’s still 24 of them and will double. Storage for that lot for a few days is a consideration.

I’ve just retired a Dell and gone HP. I’ve stuck with Xeon, but that might not be a rational decision. The machines are designed to run 24/7, built to be worked on and supported remotely. Allows for plenty of RAM and storage without overheating.
-
jhn

Post by jhn »

burger wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:12 am Small X86 boards are only good for a few cameras.

Why don't you install ZM and see how it performs? It's free software. Try a core duo. $50 online, or at your local recycler.

I don't recommend multiserver unless you know what you are doing.
Thank you for your answer !
I can't try with 24 cameras because before buy all I need to have a cost estimation... I have already use ZM on computer with 3 cameras but I want advices for choose the good equipments for 24 cameras.

With your answers I hope I can found something good !
jhn

Post by jhn »

Magic919 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:30 am I wouldn’t mess about with small machines. You already use ZM.

They are not high resolution cameras, but it’s still 24 of them and will double. Storage for that lot for a few days is a consideration.

I’ve just retired a Dell and gone HP. I’ve stuck with Xeon, but that might not be a rational decision. The machines are designed to run 24/7, built to be worked on and supported remotely. Allows for plenty of RAM and storage without overheating.
Thank you for your advice !

So I have to look for RAM and storage capacities ! I continue my investigation, thank you.
jhn

Post by jhn »

Hello again,

After search and advices from computer retailers, they tell me the Lenovo ST250 with XEON E-2276G and 16Go RAM can be a good solution for my system.
It's seem's good for manage and register the 24 cameras using ZM, but if you can confirm I will be very grateful !
And also I have a doubt between HDD and SSD, I don't no if SSD is really necessary...

Thank's,

Johan
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

Forget SSD or HDD. Go punch cards.

Seriously, Use SSD for root and HDD for video storage.
Also, use RAID
jhn

Post by jhn »

iconnor wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:59 pm Forget SSD or HDD. Go punch cards.

Seriously, Use SSD for root and HDD for video storage.
Also, use RAID
Thank for your reply, that's what I expected, with your confirmation the choice is made!

And for the server I have a XEON E-2224 or XEON E-2276G, I don't know if the last is too much ?

Have a nice day
Magic919

Post by Magic919 »

If you can bear the cost, what does 'too much' mean? That's a philosophical response.

I run the E-2224 but fewer cameras. I run other things too and there is plenty of overhead. If you will tune the cameras (low FPS) and not run high resolutions I expect you'll be fine. Perhaps someone with experience of two dozen cameras could comment.

In favour of the E-2276G CPU is obviously graphics, so encode/decode, more cores and hyperthreading. My server had no option for that CPU. I expect I'll upgrade to that kind of CPU when they are cheaper on the used market in a few years. I'd have considered it for an extra ~100, if it was an option.
-
jhn

Post by jhn »

Magic919 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:57 am If you can bear the cost, what does 'too much' mean? That's a philosophical response.

I run the E-2224 but fewer cameras. I run other things too and there is plenty of overhead. If you will tune the cameras (low FPS) and not run high resolutions I expect you'll be fine. Perhaps someone with experience of two dozen cameras could comment.

In favour of the E-2276G CPU is obviously graphics, so encode/decode, more cores and hyperthreading. My server had no option for that CPU. I expect I'll upgrade to that kind of CPU when they are cheaper on the used market in a few years. I'd have considered it for an extra ~100, if it was an option.
Yes "too much" is subjective, what I want to say is : "oversized for my system".

The extra cost is ~600€/server so if the E-2224 is enough for 24 cameras, we don't buy a E-2276G just for pleasure !
Magic919

Post by Magic919 »

Yes, that makes sense. I think the 2224 is sufficient if optimised.

I also think an extra ~600 is too big a stretch to buy in case of increased need later.
-