ZM Server with GPU... any benefit? Or more benefit on viewer/client side?

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
jaypub

ZM Server with GPU... any benefit? Or more benefit on viewer/client side?

Post by jaypub »

Hello,

I've tested ZM on a virtual server and seems to do what we want, so I plan to move it to be our primary NVR system.

The server I have for ZM is an old Dell R5500 precision "workstation" (though it is a 2U dell rack mount server). This specific server platform has support for a couple of GPU's, which I have and can install.

Our operating environment to be replaced by ZM is primarily:
- 1 back end NVR servers monitoring about 40 old (lower resolution) cameras.
- 1 front end client workstation with several monitors to display/monitor the cameras from the NVR's
- The front end cilent has a couple GPU's in it to power the displays.

Questions:

- Would ZM server (on a single back end server for capture, dabase, etc.) have any significant benefit if I give it a couple GPU's to use?
- Or would it be better to use these GPU's on the client end (i.e. with Chrome or Edge using hardware acceleration, etc.)
- Is there any specific GPU platform or card that works best with ZM server?
winstontj

Re: ZM Server with GPU... any benefit? Or more benefit on viewer/client side?

Post by winstontj »

For your purposes, if you are interested in viewing monitors, I'd say put the video cards on the client side. If you are interested in using the GPUs to do things like process zones, rules, flags, etc. then you'd want the GPU at the host.
burger

Re: ZM Server with GPU... any benefit? Or more benefit on viewer/client side?

Post by burger »

jaypub wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:52 pm Our operating environment to be replaced by ZM is primarily:
- 1 back end NVR servers monitoring about 40 old (lower resolution) cameras.
- 1 front end client workstation with several monitors to display/monitor the cameras from the NVR's
- The front end cilent has a couple GPU's in it to power the displays.

Questions:

- Would ZM server (on a single back end server for capture, dabase, etc.) have any significant benefit if I give it a couple GPU's to use?
- Or would it be better to use these GPU's on the client end (i.e. with Chrome or Edge using hardware acceleration, etc.)
- Is there any specific GPU platform or card that works best with ZM server?
Are these 40 NVRs analog?

For front end clients, there has been some written about this here: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Single_Boar ... #As_Client
Keep in mind, that's just one option. You can also have users browse to the website on the LAN. And a lot of people just want everything on their phone, so ZMNinja is another choice.

As to your questions:
At this point, GPU support in ZM is in early stages, so there is no benefit to using it server side, unless you are a power user, and want to do some independent research. Search the forums, and see this post: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/GPU_passthrough_in_VMWare

Client side is probably best if you already have them and want to put them somewhere.

As to what GPU brand is best... Again, it's too early to say without someone doing the benchmarks.
fastest way to test streams:
ffmpeg -i rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path ./output.mp4 (if terminal only)
ffplay rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path (gui)
find paths on ispydb or in zm hcl

If you are new to security software, read:
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Dummies_Guide