Camera Brands/Models That Can Disable IR LEDs

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
SlowScan

Camera Brands/Models That Can Disable IR LEDs

Post by SlowScan »

I live in the woods and have discovered that built in IR illuminators are a no go for me due to the bugs they attract, which in turn trigger false alarms, so I use external illuminators mounted a few feet offset from their cameras.

My installed outdoor cameras all have their internal illuminators permanently disabled, which required warranty killing surgery on each of them. Consequently, I have been searching for a reasonably priced brand or model that has an IR LED disable feature built into its web interface that does not also disable the IR cut filter.

I have contacted a couple of brands and posed the question to tech support. So far, all I get is we'll get back to you. They never have.

Anyone else running external illuminators? What brand/model cameras do you use?

Thanks,
SlowScan
SlowScan

Re: Camera Brands/Models That Can Disable IR LEDs

Post by SlowScan »

Hmm, no replies so far. There must be a lot less folks having this problem than I thought.

I did find one current model that meets my needs. I'll list it here, and also post any others that I find to this thread.

Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I.
snake

Post by snake »

Some cameras require external IR illuminators. LEDs are not included at all. Axis comes to mind. I'm sure there are others.
SlowScan

Post by SlowScan »

Unfortunately, Axis are out of my price range. :( Good info though.

Found another one which I bought on spec. I just finished verifying that the IR LED disable switch does not disable the IR Cut filter.

Amcrest IPM-743E.
marcopete87

Post by marcopete87 »

A little late: on DS-2CD2020F-I (HIKVISION), i can disable IR leds (i can set manual IR power, so i have to set to 1%)

However, i live in front of an field with a lot of water, but bugs aren't attracted at all by IR light (only spiders do web near cameras, only because their position).