Typical Load for other users

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
eprohaska

Typical Load for other users

Post by eprohaska »

I am looking to see what type of load you guys are getting out of your Zoneminder setups. I am running 10 IP cameras at 640x480 with no limitation on fps on a virtual in VCenter using 16Gb of ram and 8 processors. We sit on average at about 6-7 load. Is this normal for running the cameras at a higher resolution? Would appreciate the feedback. Thanks.
Nerre

Re: Typical Load for other users

Post by Nerre »

What kind of motion detection are you using?

"no limitation on fps" is probably your main issue, for each frame zoneminder will perform motion detection (i.e. compare pixel by pixel with previous images). With 30 fps from 10 cameras this means there are 300 image comparisons performed each second.

Zoneminder was written for surveillance, not video recording. Lowering the FPS will lower the load substantially.
BiloxiGeek

Post by BiloxiGeek »

- 10 IP Cams, each has a high def stream (1920x1080) and a low def stream (320x176), 20 monitors total
- All cams set to 5FPS on both streams
- ZM does motion detection on the low def stream, hi def monitors linked to the low def
- System is a self built i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16GB memory, 4x2TB drives in a software RAID 5

System typically runs a load average just under 2. On partly cloudy days where's there's lots of shade to sun to shade transitions I see a noticeable increase in events and that pushes up the load average a bit.

Load average for the ZM system over the last week...
image.png
image.png (22.39 KiB) Viewed 4675 times
river100

Post by river100 »

BiloxiGeek,
A bit of a hijack here below.
10 cams at 1080 and a load of 2.0 ? you got me on the motion analyze on lower resolution. That's NICE.
Going to have to do a comparison test.

I have a 10 cam system @ 720 and XYMON reports the average load as 5.8. This is on a Xeon E3-1260L one 4TB purple, and SSD OS.
Cams at 10fps motion detect.

I think the the biggest problem I have is when the purge when full comes in, which is constant once the HD fills up.
This system had an average load of 3.1 before the HD filled up, soon as it did 5.5 to 5.8.
This system keeps an average of 10,200 total events, with purge filter set at 75%.
On one of my systems running 8 cams at 320 res, the total events average around 32,000. It has the same problem, Hi load when trimming the HD.
So I have a question for you... How do you tweak the system to handle 6TB and not slow to a crawl when the purge when full kicks in ?
Nerre

Post by Nerre »

As for the purge I think the solution is to purge more events at a time.
BiloxiGeek

Post by BiloxiGeek »

I typically manually delete events about once a day after browsing through the list of thumbnails. I can pick and choose the ones I want to review more in depth after I delete the bulk of them. I don't have the purge issue this way. For the most part I don't keep events hanging around on the drives for very long. If there's something interesting I'll export it to a video file and save that elsewhere on the server and then delete the event.

If it were a serious event, like someone snooping around or trying to break in then I'd save the whole event in case it's needed by the police.
river100

Post by river100 »

Thanks,
I do that at home but some need a little backlog.
I'm going to update one of them having a problem.
It has 1.28.0 32 bit. going to put 1.29.0 64 bit on it and
do some of MYSQL tweaks and others.

today I saw some events around 9am , the showed as
real events but no image files show, and the event
doesn't play. basically it's empty.