Recomended 8ch pci card anyone?

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
wheeliebin

Recomended 8ch pci card anyone?

Post by wheeliebin »

My DVR is dying and I want to replace it with a pci/pci express card in a modern linux box with ZoneMinder. I got hold of a supposed Kodicom 4400 which turned out to be a clone with terrible quality video.
I'd be interested to know if anyone has experience of a suitable card that can be purchased in the UK. This camsecure one http://www.camsecure.co.uk/PCIECapture.html looks ideal but I get no answer to phone calls or emails.
Thanks
Nighthowl

Re: Recomended 8ch pci card anyone?

Post by Nighthowl »

Those cards only record in CIF
Recording Resolution
320*240 (NTSC), 352*288(PAL)
Some techwell chips are supported in Linux. I'm also trying to find one that works well in Linux with full D1 and 50 or more fps for at least 4 inputs.

Cheapest option is a couple of bt878 chip card with 4 inputs each (aka "pico2000"). Don't pay more than 15 bucks per card with postage included. It will yield around 1fps with all inputs at full D1 in zoneminder, if you crank it up the fields will be messed up (wrong order) and frames will bleed from one channel to the other. Using only one channel per card will enable full motion (25fps PAL/30fps NTSC) capture. Captured image isn't broadcast quality of course. I have one of these cards and it has about five vertical bars of noise, it's very faint but you can see them with no input (blue screen) and sharpness set to maximum, otherwise you won't notice them.