What camera from DX.com to work with ZM?

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
Cubytus

What camera from DX.com to work with ZM?

Post by Cubytus »

Hi there,

As some may recall, I was very unfortunate in getting ZM to work (and didn't succeed), and my reasoning is, if the camera works with ZM, it will work truly anywhere. I have tried many IP camera softwares on various iOS devices, as well as Nokia cell phones, but never got the stability I am looking for. It would always connect using the browser, but at times, ZM lost connection without reason. I learnt the hard way that having a HTTP stream available doesn't guarantee compatibility with ZM.

Knowing my setup may not be optimal, I am currently looking on DX.com website trying to find a high quality and stability camera to work with ZM.

What would be your advice for known-good wireless cameras from this site?
A few guidelines:
  • IR mandatory, at least 10m
  • Wide angle, as much as possible.
  • wireless (wired optional)
I am not looking to spend $150+ per camera of course.
jameswilson

Re: What camera from DX.com to work with ZM?

Post by jameswilson »

Imo cheap ip cameras should be avoided. All the ones ive ever tested have failed to be reliable
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
Cubytus

Re: What camera from DX.com to work with ZM?

Post by Cubytus »

Indeed, but if so many get a good review, I assume it may not be that bad? Ideally, I read, maybe here, that a cabled, analog camera would be better than any IP camera. On the other hand, there's no warranty that a 4-channel USB converter would be up to the job, especially in ZM, plus it really is not a viable setup in my case since laying cables everywhere is unsightly, and while I consider the computer sacrificial in case of a break-in, the longer it stays in working order, the more chances it has to complete its job. In that case, wifi IP cameras will help by not revealing the computer precise location.

And it depends on what you call "cheap". I have not looked for security-oriented stores, but any advice is welcome.