new install first setup capture card

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
JonMoore

new install first setup capture card

Post by JonMoore »

Hello!

I'm about to setup zoneminder 1.25 on a spare dell T5400 that I have.
I'm looking to connect 16 cameras and to get around 25fps each.

going spare at the moment the pc has:
1x 5v PCI slot
2x PCI-X slots
1x PCI-E 16 slot
1x PCI-E 8 Slot

I've had a look at the compatable hardware list but I'm a bit confused still (new to all this)

Could someone suggest a card/cards (I'm thinking it might have to be one of "X" to do the first 8 cams and one of "Y" to do the second 8 due to the various slots I have free?) that will do this for me and not need too much tinkering to get working?

If you could suggest a supplier too that would be great!

Many thanks!

Jon
santhony

Re: new install first setup capture card

Post by santhony »

I'm also looking for a new setup and wanting to start with some good hardware..

I am though, unable to find a good list of DVR cards for recommendation.

I'm looking for a full D1 card, both preview and recording...

Can anyone point us at a list, and not just chipsets?
OrangeCctver

Post by OrangeCctver »

Did you guys ever manage to figure it out? I looked at the supported hardware section too, and I also found it a bit light in detail. :)

What did you end up buying?
pewebhost

Post by pewebhost »

I've also found the hardware list and info a little lacking.

What did the three of you do?

Cliff
OrangeCctver

Post by OrangeCctver »

I got stuck and didn't bother to continue investigating. Don't have time to fiddle as much as it required. I tried to buy a Bluecherry card twice but as soon as I place my order the guys changed pricing and delivery fees, once even after I paid, they at least refunded me.
pewebhost

Post by pewebhost »

OrangeCctver wrote:I got stuck and didn't bother to continue investigating. Don't have time to fiddle as much as it required. I tried to buy a Bluecherry card twice but as soon as I place my order the guys changed pricing and delivery fees, once even after I paid, they at least refunded me.
Did you end up going with a different system, or just not do anything?

I need a solution to use about 16 older analog cameras until I can afford to upgrade all of the cameras. I also need this system to be affordable and I thought zoneminder may be a solution, but I'm not sure any longer.

Cliff
OrangeCctver

Post by OrangeCctver »

Hi Cliff, nope didn't do anything. My project was for home use, since it's not a priority it got moved to the back of the queue. ZM is great I guess if you have a huge amount of Linux experience and\or time.

No such thing as a free lunch, either you pay for a fully functional and supported application, or you get freeware and have to spend many long hours to get it to work.