LML-26415 Hardware codec based card with old PC and ZM ?

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
couchbotato

LML-26415 Hardware codec based card with old PC and ZM ?

Post by couchbotato »

http://www.linuxmedialabs.com/product_d ... prodid=415

My AMD Sempron 2800+ cant compress anything with BT878 based tv-card but how about this Linuxmedialabs HW 264 card?

Is there any cheaper cards with zoneminder support and hardware mpeg compression?
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

ZM DOES NOT WORK WITH HARDWARE COMPRESSION.

although that processer should be enofe for 3-4 cams on bttv card runniong around 5 fps each.
couchbotato

Post by couchbotato »

http://www.ipcmax.com/product_info.php? ... anguage=en

Here is cheap 59e card and it says that there is hardware h264 encoding and zoneminder support. quite silly if the encoding isnt being used by zm ?

the problem with my btb878 chipped wintv-go card was that I couldnt get 640x480 resolution out and that would be the minimum requirement.
curtishall

Post by curtishall »

This card isn't a true hardware compression card. It does not have a DSP that does the video encoding on board, it's relying on the processor to do the work.

With that in mind Zoneminder *can not* make use of hardware compression cards. When I say *can not* I mean it's literally impossible the current way that Zoneminder handles video. Zoneminder takes up to thirty single JPEG frames per second and saves to disk. True hardware compression cards send a MPEG container stream and the user space application saves it to disk.

So, even if you went out and purchased a $300 hardware compression card, spent three months writing a Video4Linux driver (Note: We already wrote a Video4Linux(2) hardware compression driver that _streams_ MPEG knowing that Zoneminder can't work with it) unless the card could dual stream JPEG and MPEG then you have an expensive paper weight as far as Zoneminder is concerned. Even if you could use the JPEG stream off the card, you still haven't saved any processing time since Zoneminder still has to save the (30) frames per second to disk, then analysis the frames for motion.
--
Curtis Hall
Bluecherry
www.bluecherrydvr.com
store.bluecherry.net