Having problems with Axis 211-A

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
snake61

Post by snake61 »

Bought this camera( Axis 211-A) for over $600 a year or so ago. Never really used it. Been in box for 95% of time. Just recently plugged in, used it with my ZM as IP camera, and camera did not last more than 3 weeks of 24/7 use. I can access the camera, but there is no video. Red broken link in ZM, and if I try to access the Live View in Axis itself, no video. I have link light. I have reset camera-no change. I have reset to factory defaults-no change. I am assuming the DC controlled Iris may have gone bad. Anyone have any trouble with this expensive boat anchor?
Thanks for all the Help.
New to Linux
curtishall

Re: Having problems with Axis 211-A

Post by curtishall »

snake61 wrote:Bought this camera( Axis 211-A) for over $600 a year or so ago. Never really used it. Been in box for 95% of time. Just recently plugged in, used it with my ZM as IP camera, and camera did not last more than 3 weeks of 24/7 use. I can access the camera, but there is no video. Red broken link in ZM, and if I try to access the Live View in Axis itself, no video. I have link light. I have reset camera-no change. I have reset to factory defaults-no change. I am assuming the DC controlled Iris may have gone bad. Anyone have any trouble with this expensive boat anchor?
If a factory reset doesn't fix it there's not much you can do with it.

If the camera turns out to be dead Axis will occasionally repair out of warranty items for a nominal fee.
--
Curtis Hall
Bluecherry
www.bluecherrydvr.com
store.bluecherry.net
snake61

Post by snake61 »

I'm going to replace the DC Iris. If that's not it, Ill return it to Axis. But get this, they said because it sat in the box on the shelf for so long, its possible for things to go bad. That's funny. Thought I bought a camera, not a dozen eggs. We actually used Acti instead when we were looking for IP cameras. Out of 300 cams, only 1 has gone bad. So, guess I'll stick with Acti. By the way, since I am using and older version of ZM 1.23. on PCLOS, is there anyway I can add the Acti presets to my system?
Thanks for all the Help.
New to Linux
curtishall

Re: Having problems with Axis 211-A

Post by curtishall »

snake61 wrote:I'm going to replace the DC Iris. If that's not it, Ill return it to Axis. But get this, they said because it sat in the box on the shelf for so long, its possible for things to go bad. That's funny. Thought I bought a camera, not a dozen eggs. We actually used Acti instead when we were looking for IP cameras. Out of 300 cams, only 1 has gone bad. So, guess I'll stick with Acti. By the way, since I am using and older version of ZM 1.23. on PCLOS, is there anyway I can add the Acti presets to my system?

ACTi cameras are MPEG / H.264, so you will need a 1.24. The latest firmware has a rough MJPEG feed, but I don't think it works well.
--
Curtis Hall
Bluecherry
www.bluecherrydvr.com
store.bluecherry.net