will this box configuration be enough?

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
orlandold

will this box configuration be enough?

Post by orlandold »

Hi there,

I am getting ready to setup a Zoneminder box, and need some suggestions or comments on the hardware I have in mind:

- Four (4) Panasonic BL-C101 PoE cameras

- Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 2.66Ghz (Wolfdale) Socket 775, FSB 1333Mhz, 6MB L2 Cache, EM64T.

- Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45- UD3L - Socket LGA 775, Chipset Intel P45, FSB 1600Mhz, 4x DDRII 1366+Mhz, PCI-E 16x 2.0, SATA II, 1GBit Network

- Video: EVGA Nvidia GeforceFX 6200, 256MB DDR2 SDRAM

- Harddrive: Seagate 1TB Barracuda 7200.12 - 32MB Cache, 7200 rpm

I will like for Zoneminder to be recording as much as possible.

I still haven't decided on the RAM, anybody has any thoughts on what should be sufficient or suggested? Is 2GB to little?

Initially the box won't be used for anything else but Zoneminder; if there is any room left, perhaps I may put a BOINC client in there, and/or use it as file server for remote backup, etc.

Is the above processor, motherboard, disk, etc.., good enough to keep a Zoneminder box running all day, and accessing its content remotely through the net? I shouldn't be accessed remotely by more than two (2) users. What I am most interested is on knowing wether the hardware specs will be able to maintain the four (4) Panasonic cameras recording full time/res

Thanks,
curtishall

Re: will this box configuration be enough?

Post by curtishall »

This configuration is fine. You won't need the NVIDIA card since it won't be used for rendering.
--
Curtis Hall
Bluecherry
www.bluecherrydvr.com
store.bluecherry.net
orlandold

Post by orlandold »

curtishall,

thanks for your response.

Could you help me in deciphering the amount of RAM that should be on the box?

thanks and regards,
curtishall

Post by curtishall »

orlandold wrote:curtishall,

thanks for your response.

Could you help me in deciphering the amount of RAM that should be on the box?

thanks and regards,
I would go with 2-3GB of ram.
--
Curtis Hall
Bluecherry
www.bluecherrydvr.com
store.bluecherry.net
orlandold

Post by orlandold »

thanks for your response!