Setup advice needed

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
orangeco

Setup advice needed

Post by orangeco »

Hi there, I want to setup ZoneMinder at my second property to keep an eye on it. I want to use one PTZ camera that I can control from home but I would also like this camera to be able to detect and record motion. Also, if you can advise me on what other fancy tricks ZM can perform, that would be great (like sending me images to my phone etc.)

I would really appreciate advice on what spec PC I need to buy as a minimum and also what PTZ camera I need. I have been shuffling through eBay but I need some direction to sort the wheat from the chaff.

I tried setting up ZM back in 2007 but I'm no good with this sort of thing, so if you can set this kind of thing up and you want some work, I'd be happy to hear from you.

Thanks in advance.
kylejohnson

Post by kylejohnson »

ZoneMinder can detect and record motion no problem. ZM can do non-stop recording, streaming and motion detection. It can also upload events (an event is created when motion is detected) to a FTP server, or send you an email.

You are only planning on using one camera? I do not have specifics but the hardware specs will be really low. I was using an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ with a 640x480 network camera, doing motion detection at 15FPS with a load of around .20.

Most new axis network camera will work, including PTZ functions. Axis makes good stuff, but they are also pricey. Take a look at http://www.axis.com/products/video/camera/index.htm to see what they can offer.
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

I had a 2 camera system at 10 fps each on a P3 800 with 256 meg of ram.