What is the physically smallest PC you've seen ZM run on?

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
footnote

What is the physically smallest PC you've seen ZM run on?

Post by footnote »

Has anyone got experience running zoneminder on a tiny PC, for example any of the following:

Popcorn hour
Myka
Asus EEE Box PC
Linutop
fit-PC
SheevaPlug

I'm looking to hide the PC that collects surveillance data for a small system. Obviously not all tiny PCs will have the specs to run ZM.

Thanks
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

Zoneminder will run on anything. At what speed is the question? Home many cameras? What rate? IP, USB or analog?
footnote

Post by footnote »

Maximum 2 IP cameras. Non-intensive use of the GUI. As long as it collects and archives ok that's all I want.

What I am ultimately looking for is to be able to install ZM on a Networked Media Tank (NMT) such as Popcorn Hour.
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

go look at the atom cpus some of the bords are rellay tiny thers one out now that credit card sized. i believe 1.0-1.6ghz

http://www.toradex.com/En/Products/Robin_Z530_Z510
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

I have also used it on some Via boards. You do not need much HP, if you have few cameras and no GUI.
john_l_b

VIA must not be a culprit!

Post by john_l_b »

[quote="Lee Sharp"]I have also used it on some Via boards. You do not need much HP, if you have few cameras and no GUI.[/quote]

So why the the old wives tale about VIA not functioning with DVR's so dominant in the industry and does not go away?

Or does the VIA board not use ANY VIA chips?

As I've said before, it's an old wives tale!
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

The VIA chipset has known issues with video capture cards. But it has no issue with supported USB cameras, or network attached cameras. Also, less chips means less issues. A 240fps card will make the timing issues in VIA chipsets really stand out while a single chip 30fps card may get by.

For me it was a test with a single USB camera.
Blazer

Post by Blazer »

I will be testing it out on the SheevaPlug this weekend :)